Author Topic: Explorer to Crosstourer?  (Read 2108 times)

Offline eagle6

• Crosstourer Junior
Explorer to Crosstourer?
on: August 07, 2015, 09:14:43 PM
A few questions for you.

The Triumph triple is a good bike so don't want to take a backward step. Test rides don't really tell you much about real ownership.

I get around 185 - 205 miles out of a tank on the EXP so what's the average tank range on the CT?

I can manage the 259kgs of the EXP (just) so just how bad is the CT to move around with 280kgs?

What's the std screen setup like on m-ways at 70-85 mph?

TIA

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: Explorer to Crosstourer?
Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 09:44:07 PM
Tank range is very similar, I fill up at around 180, but could get to near 200 . . . the weight is only noticeable when reversing out of my long drive or pedalling back if you are just touching ground, screen not so good. . . I've changed mine for MRA Vario. . . I like the Explorer but Honda much better build in my opinion, and I do prefer the V4 engine of the CT.

Offline DaveyChef

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Highlander
Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015, 09:48:15 PM
As Geoff said, pretty much the same for the tank range.
I only feel the weight when maneuvering the bike on my gravel drive 😳😁 other wise no problem, pretty light when on the go.
I'm 6'2" and use the Givi Airflow, had the visor up at near a ton today before I realised.
Errr that was not on a public road officer!!!

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 09:19:53 AM
*Originally Posted by eagle6 [+]
A few questions for you.

Test rides don't really tell you much about real ownership.

but a test drive on a DCT will convince you!  :008:

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 10:09:25 AM
Was a close run thing Explorer Vs CT when I was buying. I've swapped bikes s couple of times with s friend who has the Triumph and we both remarked on how similar they are.

On fuel I'm generally filling up around 180 though this weekend I got to 201 and out 19.4 litres in, bit to close for comfort really.

The screen question is like pretty much every other bike on the market, some like the standard one, others various different types, though a test ride might answet that for you.

For a long time I hankered after the Triumph but as time goes on and the list of issues on the Explorer appears to grow, the more i feel I made the right decision.

Offline asw63632004

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT 2012
  • City / Town: Swindon
Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 10:16:49 AM
I've got the Honda touring screen. No problem at all.
Tried the standard screen...I'm 5'11 and I couldn't breathe! The air was  hitting me right on the throat.
Looks much better with the standard screen though.
You get used to the weight ..I had a Varadero before and have never dropped either (yet!) You just have  to think about where you are before you put the stand down. I've got a bigfoot on mine. Find that helps too.
Andy

Offline brilave

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 07:10:42 PM
200 miles to reserve light, then 17 litres for another 200, although that's on a motorway daily commute on the M25, and in running-in mode. Actually better than the old crossrunner, but early days..

Weight is not noticeable, except when pushing, but no big deal. F**k me, that engine at 8k revs...   :005:

I like the Givi tall screen, but it annoyed me today in the rain, filtering for 30 miles, so back on goes the original screen. I'm 5'9" and prefer visibility to protection.

arab-exile