Author Topic: Dirt Riding  (Read 2548 times)

Offline Hamish

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR 1200X
  • City / Town: Brisbane
Dirt Riding
on: July 29, 2015, 12:08:42 AM
Been out riding dirt roads of late just to see for myself how adventurous I can get on a CT.
Right off you'll notice to ease the throttle or things can get ugly very quickly. You can hit some good speeds as long as you slow it well before a bend or turn. Also on loose gravel it's not too bad. On larger stones it wanders around a bit in the front end but with a but of common sense one can manage stay upright. However....On muddy tracks it's absolutely useless..Even being ultra careful it will throw you on the ground quick smart.....Lesson learned...STAY OUT OF MUD...or this can happen to you...
Due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Re: Dirt Riding
Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 02:57:38 AM
Is that just due to tyres rather than the bike?

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 10:44:35 AM
No. I have 50/50 tyres and it is still a handful unfortunately. But I'm new to offroad and still panic and chop the throttle when the front starts wandering. But some Aussie gravel is very slippery when dry.

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 01:16:35 PM
*Originally Posted by Hamish [+]
Been out riding dirt roads of late just to see for myself how adventurous I can get on a CT.
Right off you'll notice to ease the throttle or things can get ugly very quickly. You can hit some good speeds as long as you slow it well before a bend or turn. Also on loose gravel it's not too bad. On larger stones it wanders around a bit in the front end but with a but of common sense one can manage stay upright. However....On muddy tracks it's absolutely useless..Even being ultra careful it will throw you on the ground quick smart.....Lesson learned...STAY OUT OF MUD...or this can happen to you...

I bet you had fun trying to pick that up in the mud!

Offline Hamish

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 09:19:31 PM
*Originally Posted by Maverick [+]
Is that just due to tyres rather than the bike?
Wrong tyres, Bike too tall and heavy, going too fast, stupidity on my part.
Pick one ...Or all of the above.
Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:36:33 PM by Hamish
Due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.

Offline colngezsct

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Tamborine
Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:23:51 PM
Hi Hamish, I can sympathise with you, I dropped my bike in Port Augusta last May all in slow motion but once it starts to go you've got no hope of stopping it. I now stick to the roads or simple DRY tracks. She's no motocrosser! :112:

Offline Hamish

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 09:27:40 PM
*Originally Posted by Big Bob [+]
I bet you had fun trying to pick that up in the mud!
Took three of us. One to stop it from sliding further down the track and two to pick it up.
Worst part is...Once you pick it up, the track is still there so you have to ride through it while all the helpers are watching to see if you'll do it again

Offline colngezsct

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Tamborine
Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:16 PM
Yes it's all fun after a hot shower and a couple of beers :031:, but at the time... :172:

arab-exile