Author Topic: Another dct question  (Read 2741 times)

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: York
Another dct question
on: July 28, 2015, 06:28:19 PM
If I was in manual mode and came to a junction in 4th and did nothing what would it do. Does it change down for you even in manual. Too wet to go and try :001:

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Re: Another dct question
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 06:32:58 PM
Yes it does.

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 06:55:30 PM
*Originally Posted by SunAndSea [+]
Yes it does.
:0461: and it does it well too.

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT Highlander
  • City / Town: Cardiff
Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:09:24 AM
Regardless of what mode you are in if you come to a stop the gearbox will always select first gear. However when you pull away the box will automatically revert to the mode you were riding in before you stopped. I however always select neutral when stopped as I made the same mistake as many DCT owners on the site. I came to a stop at a set of traffic lights and decided to blip the throttle and the bike just leaped forward but I managed to catch it so no harm done. In my defense it was just after I bought the bike.

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: York
Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 06:09:47 AM
Yeah I understand that, so far I have not used manual for fear of doing that a d thinking I could stall it. Also still running it in. Cheers

Offline honey_pablo

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 07:36:41 AM
Even in manual mode DCT is still governed by the system,  the gear you want has to be appropriate to the parameters or the computer won't let it change.   e.g. it won't let you change down if it thinks you're going to fast.   In the same way it will change down or up for you if it thinks the engine is going to over or under speed.

I imagine most DCT riders have at some point sat at lights in S or D mode and blipped the throttle,   you'll only do it once!   you can get a mini-blip in without any forward motion.  N is your friend!

I love my DCT,  the only thing i miss on my commute is the ability to clutch in and have a quick rev to warn of my presence to pedestrians or drivers in places where the horn would be too much.

P.

Offline Quicksy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Red Crosstourer
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 10:23:23 AM
HI ALL    i have had my dct ct since Christmas and have rode in all weather and road types so i have played with all gear options so lets make this easy:

D Mode....... in d mode the bike acts like an automatic car in the way it changes gears, like when you accelerate it changes gear, when needed to continue with the speed gain and when you throttle off it will only gear down when the speed and revs match its program to stop it chugging in a high gear and low speed and will only gear down as you slow.  this means that if you accelerate to 40mph and throttle off it will stay in eg: 5th gear until you speed drops to the best speed for 4th gear and the it will step down and so on to 3rd , 2nd, 1st.

if you brake it will obviously gear down quicker to match the rapidly slowing speed.

S Mode..... in s mode the bike will act like d mode gearing up and down but it will rev higher and change down later so as to keep you in the right gear to pull away.  best example off roads on race track is,   red line acceleration 1,2,3,4,5 throttle off for corner it drops one gear to 4th or two gears to 3rd to give you the best acceleration,  from throttle back on with high revs or red line if you have twisted enough.   (IT BEHAVES LIKE A RACE BOX) (AND IT THINKS WHAT YOU ARE DOING ON LEAN ANGLE AND THROTTLE SO AS TO GIVE YOU POWER INSTANT) so i am told....

manual  this is the good one     it will not change up in any gear to the next until you press the gear up.  it will change down like D mode when you slow or stop.  it is incredibly difficult to stall even like me throwing to on the floor twice the engine only stops on the lean angle sensor been parallel to the floor so i figured out.
In manual you can bounce off the rev limiter and when creeping through traffic i go manual 1st gear so as it wont change up if i get too quick.

in both D and S the bike makes sure you are in the right gear for wanting to accelerate in manual it does but wont gear up to keep you accelerating, it redlines and bounces lol

if this does not give the answer pm me or ask and i will delve deeper

Paul

arab-exile