Author Topic: Question for DCT owners  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Question for DCT owners
on: July 27, 2015, 09:07:56 PM
Ive had my manual CT for coming on two years now and for a long time I though that when the time came to change it'd be for something different, probably an Explorer.
However, my thinking is changing. Whatever i ask the CT to do, it just gets on with it. Its not perfect, but overall i really cannot think of a bike that will do what i want any better than the one parked in the garage.

If i was buying again, right now, i honestly think it'd be another CT. The only possible change would be maybe id go for a DCT, which is where my question to DCT owners comes in.
Ive just come back from touring the Alps, tight hairpins and the use of engine braking on long decents had me wondering how a DCT CT would get on.
I know you can manually flick up and down gears but would the system let you hold the gear to use the engine breaking?
I spent so much time in 1st and 2nd gear on really tight stuff that i also wondered if youd constantly have the DCT trying to switch up a gear?
I have ridden a DCT but unfortunatly it was im Milton Keynes and there are not many alpine passes in the area to try it out.

Paul

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Question for DCT owners
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 09:17:48 PM
In the Alpine environment I would be using my DCT in manual mode.

Offline PhD Fr

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT 2012 black
  • City / Town: Paris
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 09:36:53 PM
Hi Hartley,

I use my CT DCT exclusively in manual mode and it never appened it changed a gear up automaticaly.
It sometimes changes a gear down when i slowly stop approaching a red light without changing gear down, but never a gear up.
So as Gadget says, just switch to manual, choose the gear with the best engine break and have fun  :305:

PhD

Offline ManfredK

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT 2013 DCT
  • City / Town: Near Frankfurt
Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015, 09:37:30 PM
If you are in D ore S mode for example in 2 gear and you close your throttle DCT will stay in 2nd gear as long as you keep the throttle closed.
As soon you accelerate, DCT will shift the gears as it does usually in D ore S mode. So you are up into 4th, 5th ore 6th gear. To use engine brake again you have to shift down manually.

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 10:00:15 PM
Just done the Stelvio and lots of other Passes on my DCT a month ago [solo with luggage]  - lots of hairpins et al and mostly at a decent pace

Last week did the Offa's Dyke thing which entailed some tricky single track roads up hill and down [2 up with heavy luggage]

The DCT coped admirably with everything I [literally] threw at it - but in manual mode [not Drive or Sport]

So thats 3600 miles in a month - and all in manual mode

Now, I will ONLY ride in manual mode so I can control the gearing I want - not what the computer says I should want!

I just love the smoothness of the gear changing [solo and with pillion] - so much so that I doubt if I would ever convert back to a manual - but using it in Manual mode

When honking up and down the mountain passes its just so easy to change gear at the touch of a button, allowing you to focus and concentrate on the road and your exits from bends

The only "concern" I would have it that the engine braking capacity on the V4 is not as good as on a Twin, so on steep descends you really do have to control your descent speed using the brakes - on my old GS, 1st gear would hold any weight at a sensibly controlled descent speed - on a serious descent, the brake will get a bit hot!  In D or S mode, the system wants to shift up and down too easily - in manual mode you can keep in your selected gear as long as you like - that gives me more control

"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: York
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 05:24:16 AM
I have just got a dct and find once moving that the system feels no different to manual other than its so smooth you don't even know it's changed gear, sometimes I even have to look down to see if it has in fact changed. The only downside I find is very low speed work like out of the garage I would rather have a clutch, even dragging the rear brake does not make up for not having a clutch. Th the rest makes up for that little draw back. Never found a situation on the road where dct is a problem it just makes it fun.

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2015, 07:56:36 AM
As the above. Although my CT is untested in the Alps till 2016. Pyrenees though 2-up with luggage and the DCT system was excellent even on my least favourite aspect of going over passes, the uphill hairpin right-hander where you are going back on yourself up a steep slope.
 Previously I found myself covering and occassionaly dipping and slipping the clutch. My poor skills admitedly and got better over time. No drama at all now on the CT.
 Manual mode and 1st gear. (Auto-blip!) Takes care of business and I can give full concentration to my line round the corners.
 Only thing I have had to improve is my lack of finesse on the throttle (a pigs trotter for a throttle hand.) Thats the only adjustment for the slow speed stuff.

But to your actual question :008:... engine braking will give you no concern in manual mode. (I rarely use the auto as I like playing the tunes on the glorious V4 :600:)

Don't be too hard on MK as it will give you one of my favoruite uses of the fancy gearbox. Blatting away from the lights, short shifting, with a constant big lick on the throttle and pulling that trigger repeatedly fast in a Playstation style. Superb! :305:

Another test ride required?

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2015, 05:19:25 PM
Hi

I did the Stelvio 4 days ago and another pass which was a lot more twisty  :169:

I did them in S mode 2 up with full luggage and the bike was superb, plenty of engine braking and auto blipping just right, no problems with hairpins going up or down  :152:

My riding buddy on a manual CT was swearing at the pain in his clutch hand  :013:
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....