Author Topic: To Filter or not  (Read 3480 times)

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
To Filter or not
on: July 19, 2015, 06:12:30 PM
Just fitted the V35's to the Ct for a planned trip and am pleased with how well they fit the bike and wondered once again "am I still up to filtering on the M25". I think the overall width of the panniers. Is possibly a little less than the old H&Ks fitted to my KTM and I guess less than the standard Honda fitments, but I am less than happy about forcing my way between stationary traffic when one or two car /van drivers do not like letting you through. Anybody had any issues with width of panniers and aggressive car drivers :305:

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Re: To Filter or not
Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 06:30:45 PM
I have the V35s and find no problems filtering as long as you are travelling in a straight line . . .the panniers are slightly less wide than your mirrors so if the front goes through, . . . well you know !

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:20:44 PM
I have the Givi trekker 33s and have no real problem filtering as they are only just wider than the bars.

The biggest issue is drivers deliberately closeting the gap. One owner of s fairly new Mercedes had to dig deep into his wallet to replace his door mirror after he pulled across to block my path and my pannier hit his mirror. It wasn't deliberate on my part but a cant say I was overly up upset.

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 08:24:03 AM
I really don't see the point of having a bike, if you are not going to filter (sensibly) as for recalling incidents, I do recall one a few years ago, filtering on the M25 towards the Dartford crossing when a guy in a large newish Audi decided suddenly to pin me against a van in the adjacent lane, as I was passing on his n/s. With nowhere to go, he got out of his car, I wasn't able to get off the bike and we had some heated conversation, he was undoubtably aggressive, whilst I am not generally. As the traffic around us moved on, I agreed to pull over further on and continue the conversation (I did not, it was pointless) As I rode off, I could see the self inflicted damage to his front wing (none to my GSA) On reflection, but for my own self control, I'm sure the incident would have become violent and I know the other party would have been the the one who would have regretted starting it.
It has not stopped me filtering, I am careful, and will generally ride slowly and hold back if in doubt.

Offline Farway

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: '12 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:05:19 AM
Certainly makes me more cautious with panniers on... I find at slow speeds the bike (likely me) tend to wobble ever so slightly from left to right just due to the slow speed and I know if gaps get tight, and I have the handle bars through, I am good to go but with the panniers on, you better remain in a dead straight line to pull the width through.... I did have a similar incident filtering once in a 45mile traffic jam in France. Couple of German lads decided to jump out of the car and swap drivers leaving his door all the way open. Luckily I was doing about 20mph as I was expecting this so no great problems there but after shacking my head at the lad he decided to flick the v's and the rest.... I slowly continued past his open door and the stationary car to his left an "gently" nudged his door shut with a size 11 motocross boot and went on my merry way but yes, we need to pay attention when filtering.. Luckily up-north we seem to have less arrogant w##s peed at the easy bikers can get through traffic..
Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2015, 12:06:13 AM
Measure the width of the panniers in-situ then compare against the width between outside edges of the wing mirrors - that'll give you the guidance required for filtering

When I filter - with me it's always ALL lights on - dipped, main, spots etc
and Hazard warning lights flashing

Invariably its like the parting of the Red Sea   :305: :005: :305: :005: :305:
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline brilave

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2015, 04:27:54 PM
At one time I might have kicked a few doors and hit a few wing mirrors when I thought I was being blocked, but now I just put it down to people genuinely not seeing me or drifting because they're texting. I try to plan so that if someone is on my white line I'll go around the outside, where there's usually another few feet before the barrier.

I did 8,000 miles on the M25 last year, 80 miles per day, and only one fright, where a guy in an MPV cut across, but he came from in front of a van and he couldn't see me, or didn't look, and I didn't see him until he was in my path. Not a problem, it was close but my brakes are good and I filter sensibly.

I also move over if another bike catches up on the basis that he's caught me so he/she is faster, and their risk tolerance is higher.

Each to their own..

Offline brilave

• Crosstourer Member
  • City / Town: Liverpool
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2015, 04:30:40 PM
re "parting of the red sea" I followed a police bike with his flashing lights on (at about 40mph) past Leatherhead last week and it was stunning to see everything move aside quickly. Must use my GoPro more to catch this spectacle, which I've also observed behind an ambulance. :305: