Author Topic: Performance  (Read 4090 times)

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
Performance
on: July 16, 2015, 09:04:22 PM
 Most days when I drive home from work a 1100 blackbird goes past me  at a fair old rate.Now I know we would never call the CT a performance bike, but I  was wondering, low down maybe 40-70 would the CT head the Blackbird ? :084:I know the blackbird was the fastest for a while back in the 90's-but does it have the low down grunt to match the CT :305:
Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 09:07:35 PM by HEN99

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: York
Re: Performance
Reply #1 on: July 16, 2015, 09:15:19 PM
I would think the blackbird would have it on all fronts.

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 11:11:45 PM
All in the hands of the owner

Next time he "flies past" try keeping up with him?

Most Bird owners dont even get to 60% of the bikes potential - I know I was one of them!!  and rode with several the same Suspect its only when you get well into xxx figures that the Blackie will pull away and that'll be down to aerodynamics
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline murbike

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Carnoustie
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2015, 09:35:44 AM
  The Blackbird would leave the CT on all fronts. I had two of them, the carb and the FI models. The carb model was the better bike,

Offline Buckr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X-DCT
  • City / Town: Walkington
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2015, 09:45:00 AM
*Originally Posted by murbike [+]
  The Blackbird would leave the CT on all fronts. I had two of them, the carb and the FI models. The carb model was the better bike,

In a straight line maybe but the Blackbird was never renowned for going round corners !
 :084:
If it ain't fun don't do it !

Offline Blade

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT 14' DCT
  • City / Town: Walderslade, Ken
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2015, 11:22:35 AM
I have had three blackbirds, and a ZZR1400, It would definitely depend on the rider, but if you said same rider same circumstances the blackbird would walk it I am afraid....
The crosstourer would pick up a little quicker, but when the blackbird got over its 'flat' spot (I) models more it would walk it with arm wrenching acceleration.

Yes the blackbird was a little top heavy, but be fair the crosstourer is hardly a featherweight built for scratching.....
Ride it, buy it for what it is, and that is something I am learning myself, its a very accomplished, very comfortable, and VERY easy to ride powerful bike......

-----------------------------------
As for going round corners, you would be surprised, you need to grab the blackbird by the scruff of its neck and manhandle it, so would be very tiring to scratch,
You would also need to be accurate, as being top heavy, and phenomenal speed, the inertia would make you go straight, or the line you chose,
But you can make them work if you put the effort in,

I have to say though that the ZZR handles SO much better (Very neutral for a big bike),
I still have a very big soft spot for the blackbird though.......

Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:25:52 AM by Blade

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 12:15:19 PM
 Interesting comments from ex- blackbird owners - but I would have thought ,that low down the CT would pull better - after all - I think the standard VFR engine is more powerful than the 1100 and our CT s are supposedly re tuned for even more " low down Torque"  :305:

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Reply #7 on: July 17, 2015, 12:59:38 PM
 :0461:
But a traffic light sprint with a DCT will turn to a win for the CT