Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 5517 times)

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: York
First impressions
on: July 09, 2015, 04:58:29 PM
Just got my new crosstourer and thought I would share my first impressions. Never ridden one before picking it up and come from a sports bike back ground. Engine is so smooth, doesn’t feel fast at all until you look down at the speed. Love the DCT, was used to it by the time I got home TBH so intuitive that I was used to it after 2 miles. Think long term I will use Manual for a Sunday blast, S mode for touring on unknown twisties and D for motorway touring. Brakes feel very wooden and a bit crap but I am hoping they will get better when bedded in. My ride back was in torrential rain so could not push or explore the handling but it was like riding in the dry never had a bike so planted in the wet. Steering feels very slow so I may need to speed that up, nearly mounted a few grass verges at junctions cause it did not turn fast enough. Need a trip out in the dry next to see what it is really like, also the reach to the bars feels too far away but the standard low screen seems fine for me. Will update after I have been out and given it a good hard thrash.
 :001:

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Re: First impressions
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 09:02:39 PM
Is that a new one mate? What colour did you go for?

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 09:25:20 PM
Yeah new, silver black with the red stripe.

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 11:51:36 PM
I found the same as you with the brakes, just had new pads fitted which I hope will improve the braking. My last bike was a fire blade so I have to re-adjust not just my riding style but also expectations. I know the CT is not going to handle or feel anywhere near as sharp but it will be fast, reliable and comfortable so I should enjoy it more overall.

Hope you do to.
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 05:45:36 AM
*Originally Posted by Harri183 [+]
Yeah new, silver black with the red stripe.
Great colour, same as mine!! 

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 09:24:35 AM
Yes, totally agree. I am a die hard sports bike fan but found that i only really enjoyed it for 10% of the time, ie perfect smooth open road, no traffic, no police right temperature, above keeping your licence speed. So I thought the crosstourer would make the better bike all round and I do think it will. I will need to address the steering but looking at all the posts I think that can be done, brakes I hope will get better with more miles and I have had bikes that don't handle in the past and its not been a problem you just ride around them but I also do think it makes for a better over all experience if you can get them something like without having to spend big money. I think I will venture out on my lunch hour as its nice and hot to see what its like in the dry.

Offline Harri183

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:48:11 PM
Well, I have now had a 100miles in the dry and I really do love the bike can't fault the handling or the speed in which it turns in. Front end is a bit harsh but nothing I can't live with, brakes have a bit more bite but I think that's about it could just do with a bit more. I really am impressed with the handling I was not expecting it to be as good after reading all the reviews on here. The only complaint I have is numb fingers but that could be just down to having not ridden in over a year. Oh yes and the dct is amazing.

Offline Redbikerat

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Inverurie
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2015, 11:21:27 PM
Hi Harri, your first impressions sound very familiar!  Once you have got used to the bike I'm sure you will grow to love it.  A big change from a blade but you will go from a to b just as fast as you can on a blade (on the road of course).  In fact you will find yourself riding further and longer on the crosstourer because it is far easier to ride than a sports bike.  And it's a honda and therefore is very unlikely to let you down. :001:
Redbikerat - Crosstourer and Goldwing GL1800