Author Topic: DCT handbrake fault  (Read 6250 times)

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer dct
  • City / Town: york
DCT handbrake fault
on: July 08, 2015, 10:02:34 AM
Has anyone found a problem with bike falling over to right hand side when on side stand.WE stopped for fuel first day in euope, fully loaded ie 3 boxes ,tank bag, me 15stones wife 10stones,put handbrake on i got off and as i turned around the bike lifted and fell to the RHS ,i couldnt hold it it happened so fast.What a heavy twat to pick up it was jammed into pump with handlebar   took 5 people to release it,everyone was really helpfull not like home. So after wife stopped beating me for trying to kill her we had to ride 330km with no front brake lever,got one in Bremen. We sort of worked out that the handbrake held suspension loaded or compressed down till it let go and jumped back up and over it went. I read handbook, googled this fault found nothing.Any ideas because iam going after Honda for a repair when we get home as i think its a design fault .WE now only put handbrake on after dismounting bike now.Any sensible ideas.
mafakin

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Re: DCT handbrake fault
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 12:05:44 PM
Hi

Handbrake just stops the wheel from turning but I guess if you keep the front brake on as well maybe your suspension can't decompress until you loose it (because it's held against the fork angle)

Guess that could cause the bike to stand up when you let the brake off  :084:
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 12:46:03 PM
Its a new one on me, obviously something to look out for.

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 02:08:16 PM
Personally I've only ever used mine once
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 06:22:57 PM
Sorry to hear of the "incident" buddy

I laugh at the so-called "parking brake" as its as much use as a chocolate teapot - certainly hasn't got anywhere near enough strength the hold any spring under compression

I wont even stop the bike rolling back and the slightest gradient

Cant understand ANY reason why the bike would fall to the right hand side - unless you've got the handlebars on full opposite lock and a very badly balanced luggage set - even then .....

Most odd
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 07:46:57 PM
I would not use my handbrake and don't really understand why it's fitted. I have never felt the need to ever leave a manual bike in gear when getting off. I obviously think about where I stop to negate the need for a handbrake. I can only imagine it being of any use if you had to park it face downwards on a slope but why would you not turn around!!

On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 07:55:44 PM
*Originally Posted by eastsoutheast [+]
I would not use my handbrake and don't really understand why it's fitted. I have never felt the need to ever leave a manual bike in gear when getting off. I obviously think about where I stop to negate the need for a handbrake. I can only imagine it being of any use if you had to park it face downwards on a slope but why would you not turn around!!

I ALWAYS used to leave my bike in gear when parking :-

a] Stops it rolling away - in fact stops it moving
b] Makes the stationary bike more secure as it wont move
c] Helps prevent theft [anyone who tries to hotwire a bike left in gear wont be able to start it!
d] Helps you remount the bike safely without the engine running

The "Parking brake" is fitted as Honda's ide of an alternative to leaving the bike in gear - with the DCT it's impossible

You should never park any bike facing downhill unless you've got protected NCB], big arm muscles and a large tin of T Cut!

"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 07:56:09 PM
*Originally Posted by eastsoutheast [+]
Leaving a bike in gear (or hand braked in this case) is extremely useful on ferries or the channel tunnel train shuttle, in fact anytime the bike is being transported. The DCT handbrake works well when adjusted properly and needs regular adjustment to keep it working as it should.