Author Topic: Help Tom Tom 400 connection  (Read 2417 times)

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
Help Tom Tom 400 connection
on: July 05, 2015, 10:55:15 AM
Hi

I need to wire my Tom Tom in and have struggled to get power to it. I am using the supplied power lead which terminates with a thin red and black cable. I connected the black directly to the negative terminal on the battery. I attached a spade connector to the red cable, pulled of the solid green connector from the under seat accessory socket (cigarette lighter socket) and plugged in the positive. No power getting to the Tom Tom, I then connected the red Tom Tom cable directly to the positive Terminal on the battery, still no power.

What am I doing wrong and I have checked the Tom Tom charges when connected to the other lead indoors (USB charger) and it's fine so I know the unit charges OK.

Many Thanks
Brian
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Re: Help Tom Tom 400 connection
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2015, 12:03:40 PM
Hi

Hard to go wrong with a red wire a black wire and a battery

Assuming the battery is good check that power is getting to at least one of the pins on the base so the wire is not cut inside its sheath

I have a Rider so not the same as yours but see if there is a setting on the TomTom to come on when connected to the external battery as opposed to USB ?
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline GarySN

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 12:33:17 PM
Sorry to ask an obvious question, but is the ignition switched on?  The accessory socket only has power when the ignition is on.

Offline Gary545

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD
  • City / Town: Wirral
Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 02:59:33 PM
Your Tomtom wiring should have an inline fuse holder. Have you checked it has a good fuse in it ?

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 09:53:49 PM
Yes the ignition was on, there is no setting within the Tom Tom to affect charging when plugged in and I can't recall seeing an inline fuse but there is a connected where the two ends twist lock together so guess it may be inside here.

Will check tomorrow.

Thanks all
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!