Author Topic: Gasoline loss  (Read 2039 times)

Offline CarlosTourer

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Madrid
Gasoline loss
on: July 02, 2015, 07:59:40 PM
Hi.
I have a CT for two month. I'm very happy with my new bike, but I have a problem that Honda doesn't know how solve it.
I live in Spain and we have a heat wave in these days. Usually mi bike is parked in a garage, but some times I must park it outside, under the sun. When this occurs, I have a gasoline patch under the bike, close to the kickstand.The gasoline is droping from one of th three pipes under de bike.
I watched the dropping and is very quickly and the mark of fuel very big. I taked some pictures and I send it to Honda for the evaluation. When I put a little shadow over the bike, the dropping stopped.
When I led the bike to the mechanical workshop, they have contacted with Honda and they say to me that is normal, because the fuel tank is very big, and the bike colour (black) influences for generating more gases into the tank.
Do you happened something similar?
Thans in advance.

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Re: Gasoline loss
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 08:20:04 PM
I think its the overflow of your gastank.
Gas expands when it gets hot, those hoses are ment to rinse the redundant gasoline.
When you have a rather full tank and put it on the side stand the gasoline will also drop through that hose.
If you put your bike in the sun it will double the drip.

Offline CarlosTourer

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 10:29:29 PM
Thanks for your reply, Superjeap.

The tank wasn't full. When I watched the fuel drop, it was about 3/4.

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 05:37:08 AM
Petrol when heated "gasses off" very easily and can build up quite a high pressure. I have come across this before, we found that petrol vapour was going into the overflow hose, then because that hose was on the shaded side of the bike, the vapour condensed into fuel, thus leaving a puddle of petrol. To test this out, we turned the bike around so as the vent hose was also in the sun, no pool of petrol, but a really obvious smell of petrol, which would be the fumes from the tank. As long as no one is smoking a cigarette close by, no hassles, if they are, then get your running shoes on!

Offline VaraGirona

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Girona
Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 12:35:13 PM
I found the same fuel patch under my bike (black CT), and other friend (black CT also) had the same "problem" a couple of times.
As Superjeap and the mechanic say ... don't worry.
Well, I'm not worried about this ...
It doesn’t matter the fast you go, but the far you arrive ...

Offline CarlosTourer

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2015, 12:01:28 PM
Thanks for your replies. Really, I'm not very quiet with a 'fuel pool' under my bike. If the problem persists, I think open a complaint in Honda Customer attention.

arab-exile