Author Topic: Crosstourer Purchased  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Scubalol

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer High
  • City / Town: Worcestershire
Crosstourer Purchased
on: June 29, 2015, 06:30:13 PM
Hi all, I am new to the forum, but have been reading a lot about the Crosstourer.

I have moved from an NC700, NC750 and have just purchased a beautifull Crosstourer Highlander edition in White. Which shall be delivered next Tuesday.

So very looking forward to riding this bike properly, it was registered in September 2013, so still has 15 months of its warranty left.

Comes with all of the Highlander extras, but I was wondering if there is anything in particular that I should look out for and/or any bits of kit I may want to consider adding.

I will post up pics when it arrives, our first long trip will be to Cumbria for a weekend.

Loz

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
Re: Crosstourer Purchased
Reply #1 on: June 29, 2015, 11:05:45 PM
Welcome from another new owner (pick mine up later this week). Obviously very little experience to give a comprehensive answer but I have added the following (some of it to still be delivered and fitted) to mine which is the same spec and year as yours.

Touring screen, radiator protector (from a German seller on eBay) which I believe is a must considering how exposed they are on this bike and a tank protector (baglux).

Want to add, end can (more for car driver awareness of me), new PR4's, rear hugger and get the suspension set up properly.

Have fun.
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline Scubalol

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 09:10:50 AM
Thank you , I had not considered a tank protector. Rad guard yes a must.

I highly recommend the PR4, I have had 2 sets now, with my first set lasting me 11000 miles.

Cheers

Offline pistolpete

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: vfr1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Holywood
Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 10:22:50 AM
11000 miles on a single rear wow, I've 5000 on mine and going for a new rear today as its finished, 11000 must be a forum record

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 01:44:27 PM
*Originally Posted by pistolpete [+]
11000 miles on a single rear wow, I've 5000 on mine and going for a new rear today as its finished, 11000 must be a forum record

I suspect that Scubalol was getting this mileage on his NC700 and 750's Pete, as I think he has only just acquired his CT.

Offline Scubalol

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 02:22:51 PM
Yes, sorry should have pointed that out.

NC750,

I dont expect the same with the CT lol

Loz

Offline Scubalol

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 01:46:07 PM
My new Crosstourer will be delivered on Tuesday, very much looking forward to it.

One things that does worry me, is because of the heavy nature of the bike, some of the reviews suggest its a little unstable when in tight and twisty bends, anyone experienced this?

Loz

Offline nisbeam

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: North Cornwall
Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 02:57:55 PM
I think a  lot depends on perception, if you don't believe in the tyres for example they just wont feel right.  But also your weight will play a big part in this, I only weight 12 stone.  I have had mine for 3 weeks now & was also worried, but decided that I would try to keep an open mind.  What I found was:
Suspension - standard setting too hard, I undid the front re-load as far as possible - then increased the rebound damping to max - 2 clicks.  This is much better.  Rear I set the rebound to max (fully-in) then back out abut 3/4 turn only, and unloaded the pre-load can't remember exactly but this is easy to do click by click, you will feel the difference.  Suspension sorted.  As my bike was new it is still softening just a bit - only done 2000 miles so far.
Tyres - standard Bridgestone Battlewings - get a real slating by many people.  But I decided as they were standard not just on this bike but others such as the Yamaha Supere Tenere 1200 (and they do off road training with these) that they cant be that bad, so I tried to keep an open mind.  I first rode through lots of gravel and dry mud , the front tracks straight even when the rear moves around, no dramas v. good, although probably not in deep mud you would need proper off road tyres but these are a good compromise.  On wet roads, no issues either, I have now been through a few real downpours and found grip fine - including leaning well over.  Dry roads they are superb - forget preconceptions, I go right to the edges of the tyres as often as possible and they are superb, it corners like on rails.  You will never flick it over like a lightweight and the dimensions, fork fake, wheel size, etc. may give you a different feel depending upon what you are used to, I had 2 Aprilias before, so much more sports oriented, but I just love the sure-footed cornering, like on rails - well for me anyway.
If you look into the issues many have reported (of course you don't know how many do not have issues), you usually find that they are two-up or with luggage or both, or maybe bigger than skinny ones like me.  I can see that with a lot more weight on board then more robust suspension could be required - but never had to test this luckily.
One other area is braking, but again I come from riding with full top-spec Brembo brakes, so not comparing like with like, but I feel the CT brakes lack power - not dangerous at all just not the stopping anchors I am used to.
Hope this helps allay our fears (oops - unless you are about 20 stone).  Cheers.

arab-exile