Author Topic: Consumables  (Read 4352 times)

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
Consumables
on: June 27, 2015, 08:49:07 PM
The last time I rode bikes it was purely for fun and at weekends. I never really kept a bike long enough to have to spend much on maintenance. The worst I had to stomach was new tyres, brake pads and a normal service and even this was not every time.

I have just purchased a Crosstourer, the dealer offered to supply and fit new front pads as the current ones are almost down to metal (5400 miles on the bike!!,). I wanted genuine honda pads having read about the caliber issues on here and potential warranty claims. I believe Honda could refuse a claim for brake issues if non genuine parts were used.

I looked on eBay and the cheapest genuine brake pads for the front was just over £70. I called my local main dealer and purchased a set for £62 which I thought was a decent price. The dealer I purchased my bike from will fit them for me.

Anyway my questions are as follows as I realise I have massively underestimated my annual running costs.

I will be doing 12000 miles per year commuting 60 miles per day by motorway and a further 20 miles around London.

How long could I expect to get from a set of brake pads?
How long could I expect to get from a set of tyres?
What tyres would you recommend for 100% road riding in all weathers?
How much have you paid for service plans and which services were covered? I have been quoted £1200 for the 16000 24000 and 32000 mile service so 2 major and a minor service. I would like to negotiate this down to £1000 or less if possible so it would be good to get a feel for what others have paid.

Anything worth highlighting to help me manage my own expectations would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Brian
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Re: Consumables
Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:45:31 AM
I can't remember all the questions you asked but as for tyres for road use I would go PR4, service plans only available from NEW?, BUT £1200 is far too much!!!!

Brake pads are 'consumables' so if you ride like a tw@t and have to use them aggressively all the time you WILL need to replace them often but if you ride with anticipation and experience you may not need to brake much and they will last many 'miles'

Research would have been better done BEFORE the purchase  :745: :745: :745:

Ian  :305:

Offline webster

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: The crosstourer
  • City / Town: Hampshire
Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 08:33:35 AM
Tyre and brake pad wear depends on how hard you accelerate and how hard you brake I'd rather use genuine  parts than eBay or patterned parts for trustworthiness. .
Ride free...ride fast...

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 09:06:39 AM
All my research was based on which bike to buy to be fair and I doubt any of the competitors bikes are cheaper to run. What I underestimated was frequency I could need to change tyres and brake pads on a touring bike.

Appreciate its largely dependant on how I ride and I can honestly say it will be sensible and as smooth as my commute allows.

I know the £570 24000 mile service plan is only available from new but my Honda dealer do offer service plans. The main benefit is fixing the price and then paying for it monthly interest free.

£1200 for the 16000, 24000 and 32000 roughly equates to £510 for each of the 2 big valve clearance services and £180 for the minor oil service. From what I have read on here some people have managed to get the big service done for around £420 which is why I want to get the plan down to the £1000 mark.

I thought the Michelin tyres would be a good choice also so thanks.
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline pistolpete

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: vfr1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Holywood
Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 10:21:18 AM
I have used pr4's from new and wouldn't use any other tyre, supreme confidence in any condition, as for pads my bike has 5k on it now and the pads seem to have plenty left om them, my bike is still under warranty for 2 years and when the pads need changing I will use EBC, cheaper and better than the honda pads, I can't forsee any warranty issues using EBC pads  :084:

P's.  Rear p4r dead after 5k, give me grip over hard wearing any day

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #5 on: June 28, 2015, 10:52:43 AM
PR4 it looks then and I agree that I would choose grip over longevity all day long. I though fitting something like EBC pads could invalidate my warranty. If they are better than the genuine ones they are a no brainier at the available price so will maybe try them next.

Thanks

Offline Ian Sharp

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 12:54:04 PM
As stated above ref tyre mileage. Although I don't have many miles on the CT, expecting roughly the same as on the VFR800, ~4,500 on a rear, ~8,000 on a front. Mixed riding.

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 09:26:58 PM
Here some averages in Kilometers from several Dutch CT riders. Hope it will help you.
And I don't think that the cost of Honda bikes is more than other brands, even lower if you consider Honda's are the most reliable bikes on the market for years.
No, the CT is not the cheapest bike but you got yourself the best bike on the market  :169: