Author Topic: Road or Trail ?  (Read 6573 times)

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Road or Trail ?
on: June 27, 2015, 04:26:22 PM
Hi all

The death wings have to go so I was about to order some PR4s almost by reflex.  But then I started looking at a few other options and now I'm not so sure  :084:

Personally I ride 100% on road and quite often 2 up with baggage 

I'm not a quick rider by any means but I do tend to lean right to the edges of the back tyre and I also trail brake deep into corners, so for me grip is more important than longevity

My question is, are there any technical reasons why I need to stick to the "Trail" version of tyres or would the "Road" version maybe be more appropriate for pure road riding ?

For example would the Conti Road Attack 2 Evo be better or worse on a CT than the Conti Trail Attack 2 ?
Or would the PR4 Sports Touring version be better or worse than the PR4 Trail ?

If anyone has experience with any of these or technical knowledge I'm all ears

Thanks !
Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:29:12 PM by leadfarmer
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline murbike

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Carnoustie
Re: Road or Trail ?
Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 04:40:35 PM
 I think a dedicated road tyre is the way to go for most people. I run bridgestone 023's and find them superb and very secure in the wet or dry. So called "Adventure" tyres are a compromise and do not feel as good onroad as road tyres and do not feel as good offroad as dedicated offroad tyres. Personally I think they're a fashion statement on "Adventure" bikes. But if that's what floats your boat, go for it.

Offline tmax

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CRF1000L
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 05:48:16 PM
Perhaps this will help:

http://www.motorradonline.de/motorradreifen/reifenempfehlungen-fuer-honda-crosstourer/445060

I will go whit Trail because of the weight and comfort ("Own damping of tyres")

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 06:41:52 PM
Hi Leadfarmer,
I think you can only go for the trail version in the PR4, our size in the front is not available in the road version. Also the dual compound make up is different in the trail version than the road version.
Can't comment on Continentals.
Cheers
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline nisbeam

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: North Cornwall
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 07:03:45 PM
Conti Trail Attack 2 are good tyres but very expensive, I would try Annakkee 3's instead if you want that sort.  I have also used Road Attack 2's - they seem the same to be honest, I suspect the only difference is the read pattern, the wider tread on the Trail throw out the mud that can stick in more road based tyres.  As I live on a farm I find that a useful feature although most of my riding is on road I found that Pirelli's for example  quickly become slicks if you ride on mud.
But I did have to change one Conti as the tread started to split - not good.

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 08:23:37 PM
I am looking to do actual trail riding, so a good all round dual sport option please.

Running Dunlop tr91 on my Tiger which will go to be replaced with the CT, but still want some off tarmac fun.

Offline TiuSo

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Kangasala
Reply #6 on: July 22, 2015, 08:55:49 PM
I have used one set of Heidenau Scout K60's and metzeler Karoo 3 (1 front and 2 rears) for gravel. Like Karoo 3 more, but they did not last so long...
TiuSo

Offline Maverick

• Crosstourer Master
  • City / Town: East Sussex
Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 09:08:33 PM
Thanks, they are more trail off road orientated, looking at dual sport say 80/20