Author Topic: New DCT owner and 1st bike for 7 years  (Read 3194 times)

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
New DCT owner and 1st bike for 7 years
on: June 26, 2015, 08:10:32 PM
First of all a big hello to everyone and a big thanks in advance for the advice I know I am going to benefit from.

I have just purchased a slightly abused fully loaded DCT cross runner. It's a late 2013 model fully loaded with panniers, top box, touring screen, heated grips, spots, spoked wheels etc. I priced up a new one to the same spec following a test ride yesterday and it came to £14300 which was too much for me.

The tank has 2 small and 1 largish dent (approx 20mm long, 10mm wide and 4mm at its deepest but no cracks to the paint), the right side bar end is full of hard mud (obviously been dropped), scuffs to the right side but nothing's bent that I can see, small dents on silencer edge, plastic engine casing quite scratched. Tyres past their best and the rear is quite squared off. Apart from this it appears to be in decent condition although the trader advised it came in absolutely filthy. It was purchased by we buy any bike so I am guessing someone may have needed the money quickly and not looked after it as I would expect.

It also missed its first proper service in March this year but was sold around this time. It's only done 5400 miles and was serviced at 557 miles. I have spoken to Honda and was advised as long as I get it serviced quickly I will not lose the warranty as the mileage is below the required 8000 miles.

I would normally walk away from a bike like this but managed to buy for £8000 so don't mind spending a bit more to bring it up to spec.

Just to add I did a back to back test ride on one of these and the Triumph equivalent and loved the Honda.
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Re: New DCT owner and 1st bike for 7 years
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 08:59:15 PM
Welcome to the forum, good choice, ride it for a while before you fix anything, will give you a chance to drop it yourself! :400:

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 12:01:17 AM
*Originally Posted by eastsoutheast [+]

I have just purchased a slightly abused fully loaded DCT cross runner.

:400: to the forum

you say crossrunner, do you mean crosstourer !
Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 12:03:03 AM by steve

Offline eastsoutheast

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer XC
  • City / Town: Luton
Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 01:30:35 AM
My mistake, Crosstourer.

Just need to sort insurance before I collect. My no claims has long since expired so it's not cheap but it will get cheaper!!!

Cheers
On a mission to fall back in love with biking and invest in training to live long and in one piece!

Offline Ian Sharp

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 03:31:41 AM
 :400:  :400:  :400:

Good choice. I only joined the forum a few weeks ago and already enjoying the exchange of information. I've just got a new DCT, and my dealer gave the same service interval as you state, 600 mile then every 8,000 mile. But recall he said 8,000 or every 12 months? So might want to check?

Other than that, as suggested ride it (and clean it) for a couple of thousand miles before you do anything.

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 09:17:56 PM
 :400: along.
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Reply #6 on: June 28, 2015, 12:53:39 AM
 :400: from sunny Lancashire

but I can't help thinking that you could have bought a minter loaded with extras for that price?

Ian  :305:

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 03:14:27 AM
I've just been offered 8000 for my one (2012 model with levers and stuff to put my left foot and hand etc) from the local shop. It was against a new Tracer...just needed to add 250 quid.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

arab-exile