Author Topic: Main dealer prices  (Read 6337 times)

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT Highlander
  • City / Town: Cardiff
Main dealer prices
on: June 26, 2015, 12:15:21 AM
I was quoted £200 to change the brake pads on the bike. £50 for just the rear pads and then another £100 for labour costs. Is someone taking the piss I got into biking as a cheap alternative to using a car but it is going the other way. We are not all money loaded mid life crises dickheads where money is no object and if this is where the future of motorbiking lies then I will not be riding bikes for much longer

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Re: Main dealer prices
Reply #1 on: June 26, 2015, 01:26:05 AM
I would say.

I've just done mine on the Tuono and it wasn't a hard job, even for a novice like myself and have never done it before etc. Couple hours time tops and that was giving the calipers a good wash and blow dry, and regrease etc. 
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: June 26, 2015, 05:43:04 AM
£200 is a bit salty, do it yourself, its half an hours work in reality. One point worth considering, you need to have a half decent idea of what you are doing, as no one can afford to get work on the brakes wrong.

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: June 26, 2015, 05:43:39 AM
The dealer has an expensive building to run and has to eat.
Changing the brake pads is an easy job, personally, I would rather do my own.
I don't think that running a large motor cycle can ever be described as a cheap option, I would say that a small car would be more economical, but less fun :002: 

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #4 on: June 26, 2015, 07:03:08 AM
Gone are the days that motorcycling was the cheaper option. There are a host of cars you can buy for less than 10k at the mo, the cheapest being just 6 grand, half the price of a CT. Ok it aint gonna set the world alight but if your after a cheap way to get from A to B you cant knock it. itll seat 5 (close friends) and do over 45 to a gallon, cost less in servicing and probably cost less to tax too.
Guy im working with at the mo knew nothing about bikes, he's been staggered at just how much they cost to buy and run, fairly typical in the non biking world.

Would i swap my bike for a Dacia Sandero, not a chance. If i was desperate for a cheap, relaible mode of transport for me the misses, and a kid however.....

Paul

Offline Atom64

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 07:53:58 AM
It does sound expensive i agree, Gadgets post sums up some of it, and if you've never run a business you'll never understand.
Biking is not such a cheap option for alternate transportation now,,,,,and a lot more dangerous than it used to be.
If its to be kept cheap, learn to do things yourself, with a friend who knows how to do it, you'll get more satisfaction at the end of it, yep you'll come across problems that you can't understand, but thats what the forum is for.....to help out fellow bikers where possible........ :152:
Stickers are still avalable

Offline honey_pablo

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 08:42:12 AM
I have neither the tools or garage to carry out my own work.   I'm sure I could tackle something like a pad change but to do it sitting in the gutter at the side of a London road would be a frustrating experience.

I have absolutely no doubt that running my Crosstourer costs considerably more each year than running my wifes A4 estate car.   The bike wins on commute speed and fun,  if it was only about costing less than a car I'd have kept my Yamaha scooter as that really was dirt cheap to run.

What really annoys me is the local Honda dealer who charge 50% more than Audi for a annual service and deliver a customer service that makes me feel like they're doing me a favour.  Don't even start me on their sales team who failed failed to call me back after a test ride on a 12k 2014 crosstourer 3 months ago,  it's still on their site now at £8,9k - i emailed the sales manager to offer some polite but useful perspective as a customer,  no reply of course.   

P.

P.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:48:26 AM
To a degree I agree with GADGET. However, 99.9% the building just sits there waiting for the work to come to it. Tradesmen have to go to a worksite, thus incurring transport costs etc.
I'm not saying that 100 quid is an outrageous amount, but what was it 2hrs @ 50quid, or 4hrs at 25quid. Both case would be IMHO too much for what is a basic task, either in the first case the hourly rate, or secondly the length of time taken.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.