Author Topic: Test rode the new Multistrada DVT  (Read 5370 times)

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Test rode the new Multistrada DVT
on: June 23, 2015, 11:00:57 PM
So today just for the hell of it I did a demo on the very latest Ducati Multistrada 1200S. The bike I rode topped out at over £18,000:00 with a few options and to be brutally honest is was OK ( ish).
 I have been curious of late about their do it all 4 bikes in one due to the amount of exposure it's getting in the press and online but In the end i was left feeling a tadge underwhelmed.
For a claimed 160BHP bike it was not as powerful as the CT. The CT had much much more mid range acceleration and felt far superior in terms of stability at high speed. Even with Ducati SACHS electronic suspension the CT felt more planted and sure footed. The tall Honda screen offered much better protection against the elements than the adjustable on the fly Ducati screen. The Ducati was a very comfortable bike and IMHO is just drop dead gorgeous looking and fine as an all round package but certainly not worth the 4-5k premium over the CTDCT. I did like the cornering Abs, the back lit handlebar control switches and the exhaust note plus it was lighter and easier  to move about and get onto the main stand but I was very surprised not to be blown away by a bike that seemingly every single bike journalist seems to admire and adore.
If it was a 10 to 12k bike I'd like to have one but not at the silly RRP they are going for. This new DVT V Twin was supposed to be the best of both worlds, smooth around town and powerful up in the top of the rev range I did find it characterful but I found it very chuggy at low speed and buzzy at the top end, either or the dash and the mirrors were constantly shaking about and there was a constant vibration through the bars; I hate to think what the previous non DVT engine performs like. It felt like a 800 to 1,000cc parallel twin not a 1200 V twin. If I was to go for one I'd go for the more cost effective basic 1200 version without the electronic suspension and over complicated rider interface where an app has to be down loaded into a smart phone (if you have one) to fully benifit from all its features, too much going in for my liking and far too much distraction from what's going on infront of you on the road IMHO.  For what it's worth, I give it a 6.5 out of 10 and wouldn't swap the CT for one ;-)
Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 11:07:12 PM by cozmo1589

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Test rode the new Multistrada DVT
Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:51:31 AM
*Originally Posted by cozmo1589 [+]
I did find it characterful but I found it very chuggy at low speed and buzzy at the top end,

I took an extended test ride when these *new* Multistradas came out, and I had exactly the same comments as above.

Lovely bike, stunning looks but despite the claims of improved reliability I'm still hearing horror stories about failures - not something you should see on a bike in this price range.

Offline cozmo1589

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:55:39 AM

*Originally Posted by Gas_Up_Lets_Go [+]
I took an extended test ride when these *new* Multistradas came out, and I had exactly the same comments as above.

Lovely bike, stunning looks but despite the claims of improved reliability I'm still hearing horror stories about failures - not something you should see on a bike in this price range.

Yes I've also heard of the usual Ducati reliability issues even on these new models. On their dedicated forum there are plenty of owners who are constantly visiting their dealers with issues under warranty. It's a shame as I'd love to own a bike that looks like it does but I've been spoilt by the build quality, performance and peace of mind that the Honda CT offers.

Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 HighlanderT
  • City / Town: SE London/Kent
Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:40:23 AM
Extremely comfortable to ride...painful to own I'm afraid ..not for everyday use!
My hat is raised to anyone who runs a Ducatti all week... :020:
It all started with a 1959 Vespa 125 Super.......
KMX125 KMX200 DRBIG 750 TDM800 R1100RS CAPONORD VARADERO.......

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:52:13 AM
When I was looking at buying a CT, I also test rode the MS and found it very agricultural. However, a few weeks ago I test rode the KTM 1290 Super Adventure for 600kms. I pick it up next week, got a great deal on it also. Fabulous bike in every respect, I was very surprised. I really liked that everything was included from the factory, lots of extra. The handling was sublime and the torque felt way more than the CT, especially lower down from 3k rpm. Fueling from 2krpm was perfect, so also great in traffic.

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 12:20:03 PM
Good luck with your 1290 SunandSea. It does look a fantastic bike , however........when it gets to 50k , I (and a lot on this forum) will be interested  to know how many times it has been back to the dealers for various issues to be sorted  :305:

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #6 on: June 24, 2015, 12:36:08 PM
*Originally Posted by HEN99 [+]
Good luck with your 1290 SunandSea. It does look a fantastic bike , however........when it gets to 50k , I (and a lot on this forum) will be interested  to know how many times it has been back to the dealers for various issues to be sorted  :305:
The deal I got included the 2 year extended warranty, so 4 years in total, that will get me to around 50k kms. I'll then chop the bike in for a new one. However, all bikes have some issues, including Honda. I have 2 colleagues in Germany with the 1190 and they have had zero issues with their bikes over 30k kms. The 1290is an evolution of the 1190, so most components are already tried and tested over several years. Converting Euros to GBP, it cost 11,200, so a great deal as these are 16,000  GBP  in the UK.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #7 on: June 24, 2015, 12:48:24 PM
I really like the look of the KTM and I thought the finish looked great when I looked at one at the bike show. I don't know anyone who has owned a KTM so I'll be interested to see how you go with it.

Paul

arab-exile