Author Topic: BMW 1000XR  (Read 1745 times)

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
BMW 1000XR
on: June 22, 2015, 05:37:01 PM
Saw this model at the NEC last year and did'nt take much notice but was at Kells road races at the weekend and watched a marshal lap all day on one and saw it in a different light! Seems pretty in red with a slim tall stance and minimal extra's ( which I like), sounded nice even with a Akra fitted , not too loud and stunning performance. Anyone have experience of one ?
Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:14:48 PM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Re: BMW 1000XR
Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 05:42:34 PM
I test rode one when I was looking to replace my CT. Was quite nice but had the usual inline 4 buzz making you feel you were going faster than you were. Not much torque lower down the rev range which was a show stopper for me. Test rode and bought a KTM 1290 Super Adventure instead, pick it up next week. The KTM was leagues ahead for how a road bike should be imo, unbelievabe torque, good rev range and much more fun than an inline-4, which was boring in comparison. Quality was also much better visibly on the KTM (and CT) compared to the BMW, which looked like it was built cheaply in order to try and undercut it's perceived rivals.
Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 05:44:19 PM by SunAndSea

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #2 on: June 22, 2015, 08:38:40 PM
I'll be interested in this thread

Looking at precisely these two models for next year, just a bit worried about reliability and resale for the KTM as I have no experience with them

Also wondering if the pillion seat is any good on the BMW cos it doesn't look it !
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: June 22, 2015, 10:14:15 PM
Yes, the rear seat area seemed sculpted for looks rather than lashing luggage on, bit of a rip off of a multistrada! didn't look pillion friendly.
I suppose with high bhp the torque suffers,I would not like a peaky bike ( I tried a Kaw 1000sx and it was very peaky)I would miss the CT torque and 130bhp is enough. The chain drive would be more reliable than BMW's shaft affair though.  :164:
Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 10:17:15 PM by thetrecker
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

arab-exile