Author Topic: Honda Main Dealer - Really?  (Read 14260 times)

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Honda Main Dealer - Really?
on: June 08, 2015, 07:13:35 PM
I've never been a lover of Honda Main Dealers as, particularly after Honda went the "solus brand only" marketing route. the arrogance from sales through to workshop just seems to be getting worse

Example 1 - I visit a Honda main dealer with a genuine view to buying a CT - probably a new one as I couldn't get sorted in the pre-loved arena.  Take a full day out as my nearest Honda dealer is 2 hour ride away.  Arrive in showroom, saw and sat on new CT - convinced myself this was the next bike for me.  Salesman - very nice and polite - approached me.... "Can I book a test ride please?"..... "Sorry Sir we don't have a demo model" - "OK so how about the used one you've been advertising for some time?" - "Sorry Sir that's in the workshop" But this is supposed to be the Honda Flagship?
"I'm really keen to buy a CrossTourer DCT" ..... "We can offer you a really good finance plan" ................ "But I want to ride one first" ........"Here's a voucher for a free cup of vending machine coffee!"

4 hours riding and an hour in the showroom - and for what? At least I got ti sit on one

Example 2 - Few days after buying pre-loved CT via this 'ere forum [tidy bike at the right price] - bike had just been serviced 16K etc etc by Honda Main Dealer the previous day [no names but just South of Londinium], bike lets me down with a dodgy battery - following day I check the mechanics report post-service and the battery was fully checked and all OK.  So I ring said main dealer.  "What exactly was checked with the battery and is a new one claimable under warranty?" .... I doubt it Sir but if you return it to your local main dealer they'll test it and fill in the claim paperwork?" ...."Really?  I live 2 hours ride away from nearest main dealer etc etc etc " I've had my local boy check the battery and it's knackered!

Example 3 - fit new LED riding lights but get my local "proper mechanic" to wire the switch in for me - remove side panel to access the loom and switch fitting etc - the usually very neat and tidy Honda factory wiring has been cobbled up and roughly just shoved back [almost] into place - wiring for other accessories simply twisted together and wrapped with insulating tape".  Check all invoices that came with the bike - accessories and fitting done by Honda Main Dealer!

Example 4 - just had a new rear tyre fitted locally - they've never done a CT rear before so, wisely, they check the torque setting BEFORE they remove the wheel so they can replace at the same setting?  Last rear tyre was supplied and fitted by same main dealer [see above] - torque setting was 210 ... seems very high ....check on this forum and noted that 108 was the manual's recommendation - just a little difference!  Double checked with the manual and sure enough 108 is the correct setting - so what "highly trained Honda mechanic" refitted the wheel last time?

Question?  What sort of Orangutang's are being employed in these workshops - fundemental mistakes and shoddy workmanship- but mistakes all the same?

And to think we pay a premium hourly rate for supposedly highly trained Honda mechanics - REALLY?????

Discuss .........................?
Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 07:19:45 PM by Fat Bert
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Re: Honda Main Dealer - Really?
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 08:08:28 PM
Thunderroad perhaps !

Offline colngezsct

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Tamborine
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 08:42:05 PM
This is all fairly typical for car and bike dealers here in OZ too. Best to find your own local mechanic who shows some accountability :440:.

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT Highlander
  • City / Town: Cardiff
Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 10:03:05 PM
*Originally Posted by steve [+]
Thunderroad perhaps !

They are not a solus Honda dealer so it can't be them but that was my first thought. Off hand I cannot think of a solus Honda dealer in South Wales or the South West.

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 10:04:28 PM
*Originally Posted by Fat Bert [+]
I've never been a lover of Honda Main Dealers as, particularly after Honda went the "solus brand only" marketing route. the arrogance from sales through to workshop just seems to be getting worse

Example 1 - I visit a Honda main dealer with a genuine view to buying a CT - probably a new one as I couldn't get sorted in the pre-loved arena.  Take a full day out as my nearest Honda dealer is 2 hour ride away.  Arrive in showroom, saw and sat on new CT - convinced myself this was the next bike for me.  Salesman - very nice and polite - approached me.... "Can I book a test ride please?"..... "Sorry Sir we don't have a demo model" - "OK so how about the used one you've been advertising for some time?" - "Sorry Sir that's in the workshop" But this is supposed to be the Honda Flagship?
"I'm really keen to buy a CrossTourer DCT" ..... "We can offer you a really good finance plan" ................ "But I want to ride one first" ........"Here's a voucher for a free cup of vending machine coffee!"

4 hours riding and an hour in the showroom - and for what? At least I got ti sit on one

Example 2 - Few days after buying pre-loved CT via this 'ere forum [tidy bike at the right price] - bike had just been serviced 16K etc etc by Honda Main Dealer the previous day [no names but just South of Londinium], bike lets me down with a dodgy battery - following day I check the mechanics report post-service and the battery was fully checked and all OK.  So I ring said main dealer.  "What exactly was checked with the battery and is a new one claimable under warranty?" .... I doubt it Sir but if you return it to your local main dealer they'll test it and fill in the claim paperwork?" ...."Really?  I live 2 hours ride away from nearest main dealer etc etc etc " I've had my local boy check the battery and it's knackered!

Example 3 - fit new LED riding lights but get my local "proper mechanic" to wire the switch in for me - remove side panel to access the loom and switch fitting etc - the usually very neat and tidy Honda factory wiring has been cobbled up and roughly just shoved back [almost] into place - wiring for other accessories simply twisted together and wrapped with insulating tape".  Check all invoices that came with the bike - accessories and fitting done by Honda Main Dealer!

Example 4 - just had a new rear tyre fitted locally - they've never done a CT rear before so, wisely, they check the torque setting BEFORE they remove the wheel so they can replace at the same setting?  Last rear tyre was supplied and fitted by same main dealer [see above] - torque setting was 210 ... seems very high ....check on this forum and noted that 108 was the manual's recommendation - just a little difference!  Double checked with the manual and sure enough 108 is the correct setting - so what "highly trained Honda mechanic" refitted the wheel last time?

Question?  What sort of Orangutang's are being employed in these workshops - fundemental mistakes and shoddy workmanship- but mistakes all the same?

And to think we pay a premium hourly rate for supposedly highly trained Honda mechanics - REALLY?????

Discuss .........................?

Give us a clue who the dealer is.

On the bright side once you have the bike sorted it will go for ever.

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 10:12:04 PM
He lives in Tenby so Bridgend would be about 90mins away at speed limits.

With regards to the solus remark, it is in quotation marks, so presumably he means it loosely !  and all Honda showrooms are separate  from others as you know. 
Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 10:19:48 PM by steve

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 10:21:50 PM
Best not to name names but you aren't a million miles away!

Never thought about TR not being solid dealers. Shows how difficult the market is in South Wales .... All the more reason for them to operate 'above the bar'

What's far more disconcerting is the supposed service standard undertaken by D****s in the south east
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 11:20:51 PM
*Originally Posted by steve [+]
He lives in Tenby so Bridgend would be about 90mins away at speed limits.

With regards to the solus remark, it is in quotation marks, so presumably he means it loosely !  and all Honda showrooms are separate  from others as you know.

Thunder Road are main dealers for Honda and Suzuki but I would encourage any member of this website to name and shame. I am about to pay £399.00 for a three year servicing plan because I have the CT DCT and want to continue the dealer servicing in case of a failure of the DCT box. However I had a few issues with mirrors and they were replaced without any quibbles. But you have to be on your top game when buying because in my experience they will rip you off

arab-exile