Author Topic: CT Forum - Are we like minded people? I doubt it!  (Read 4011 times)

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
CT Forum - Are we like minded people? I doubt it!
on: June 08, 2015, 06:27:19 PM
I have seen a few posts on this forum lately from fellow forum users (myself included) either asking for advice or trying to get a meeting together, and it all seems to fall on deaf ears (or blind eye...whatever the forum equivalent is). I have been a member on here for a few years now, but I can't remember the last time there was so much disinterest in some peoples post or requests for help etc.

I thought being on a model (in this case a CT) forum was all about sharing info and advice etc.

Come on CT forum members.....lets try harder lol!
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Re: CT Forum - Are we like minded people? I doubt it!
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:45:40 PM
Quite right!

"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 07:41:04 PM
Getting folks together is never going to be easy via a forum, there are members all over the place, UK, Europe, Oz !

I spent the weekend pottering around the Ardeche with Wifey but it's not exactly handy for most folks on here

Also even when folks are localish they may be like me, personally I don't ride in groups, especially with riders I don't know  :151:

From experience riding in groups always ends in a race, there is only ever the guy at the front riding at his own pace and even then he is generally at his limit. Everyone behind is adapting their pace either faster or slower but never really at their own rhythm. It's a great recipe for an accident and not really that enjoyable  :110:

The only person I ride with really is my best buddy, but we've been riding together since 1986 so we don't have a lot to prove  :031:

Just my €0.02 worth
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 HighlanderT
  • City / Town: SE London/Kent
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 10:06:24 AM
I kind of get what you are saying....but I only chip in when I am 100% sure of facts...Something I've done myself ...I wouldn't dare comment on Torque settings or even tyre Pressures..I leave that to my handbook.

I'd be up for a meet up somewhere...The XRV forum seem to have had a couple of decent ideas over the years...but we are still few in numbers and fairly spread about...

I did a couple of trips.... a little Alps trip and a Route de Napoleon a few years ago with a Friend who was active on the Versys forum..the guys I met were the most diverse bunch of people...but I'm glad to count them as friends still..even though some may not be riding now.

It all started with a 1959 Vespa 125 Super.......
KMX125 KMX200 DRBIG 750 TDM800 R1100RS CAPONORD VARADERO.......

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 10:08:00 AM
I do tend to agree with the sentiment of the original post.
I've organised a few ride-outs over the past couple of years through the forum with a modicum of success and the participants seemed to have enjoyed them allthough I have to say it would be great if we could get some other forum members to do likewise.
Not only does this give us the opportunity to "chew the fat" with other CT owners but also experience some unfamiliar roads in the company of friendly folk, as the old advert use to say "you meet the nicest people on a Honda".  :028:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline capobob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2015 HighlanderT
  • City / Town: SE London/Kent
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 11:04:09 AM
so...we might have something going here...

https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,4043.0.html

I might get veto'd when I get home....but fingers crossed...
It all started with a 1959 Vespa 125 Super.......
KMX125 KMX200 DRBIG 750 TDM800 R1100RS CAPONORD VARADERO.......

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 12:31:39 PM
*Originally Posted by leadfarmer [+]
From experience riding in groups always ends in a race, there is only ever the guy at the front riding at his own pace and even then he is generally at his limit. Everyone behind is adapting their pace either faster or slower but never really at their own rhythm. It's a great recipe for an accident and not really that enjoyable

It takes a mountain of self control and confidence to control a group ride. I've done it with various advanced groups and learned lots, I've also organised and lead ride outs for XT660.com.  The trouble is the lead rider has to ride at a very consistent and relatively slow pace meaning the leading bikes get bored yet the tail end charlies still have to ride like maniacs to keep up, the elastic band effect in action.  It's very difficult to get everyone in a happy place.

You never have any idea of the skills, capabilities of attitudes of other rides - for this reason I to, don't ride in groups (funnily enough, only with my buddy who is ex-traffic, and knows his stuff) anymore.  It's just as bad getting mixed up in the middle of a group ride on the road by other riders (my wife like to take it slow and take in the scenery rather than flat out into each bend), these days, if I see a group coming up behind I'll move over and let them all past.

I did organise a bike treasure hunt navigation thing in the Lakes a few years ago, sort of like the HUMM or the Vince but on a smaller scale and only over a day. This worked well as no-one was in groups (though some formed small teams) and got everyone on great roads with a bit of navigation thrown in.  We sat around in a large gazebo at night, had some drinks and talked rubbish.  If there were 25-30+ folk interested I'd be happy to sort out camping and re-run the same event (just for fun, no money or prizes) in the Lakes (Northern England) for some suitable date.

As for technical support.....  I've had my CT 10 months, and I've only just gotten to grips with removing the upper body panels, I know very little about the bike past the manual.  If you have a question about a Yamaha XT/TTR, or a Varadero I might be able to help - but this is the wrong forum for either  :192: 
I do read the advice an opinions though, and I've made some small changes as a result, for that, I thank those who contribute  :028:

Offline Atom64

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 08:43:24 PM
If a ride out was organised over a weekend, I would vote France.....simply because the UK guys could meet at the tunnel and also it would open up the social side to guys and gals from over the channel.

Its not about ' look how fast i ride ' ' how well i corner ', its about group riding and experiencing a different environment, roads and people.

Sticking to the speed limit and second man drop off marking will keep everyone together with regular stops,,,,,it would also give people who haven't ridden abroad before or occasionally, confidence to go.

go easy on me  :034:   :158:
Stickers are still avalable

arab-exile