Author Topic: Are we losing sight??  (Read 3021 times)

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Are we losing sight??
on: June 02, 2015, 09:36:46 PM
I'm just thinking as I read yet another report of a new ADV bike with a gazillion gimmicks and cc/BHP.

I remember the days when my friends and I would go camping weekends to the West Coast of Scotland (from the NE coast) on x7's, Elsies, and superdreams. I even did a 400mile round trip one day to watch a football match. We won 1-0, but I missed the goal when getting a cup of tea.

Yet these days it seems that we could not dare to carry out such long journeys with a 'big' bike with pannies and top box. I sometimes see folks going for fish and chips with the fully loaded kit.....FFS!

Now I'm pretty sure there are guys on here that go on some very long tours....but how many of the others could get by on a good going 400 or even an old x7 lol? So are we losing sight on what we actually need for a bike?
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Re: Are we losing sight??
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 10:32:04 PM
When I was 17 I went from London to Newquay for a 1 week camping trip on a Honda CB125. I would have much  preferred  to go on a modern adventure bike. It's called progress otherwise doing your trips on an x7 would have seemed way over the top 30 years before that.

Modern bikes are fantastic for doing long or short trips, nothing wrong with that.

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 11:19:41 PM
I'm a young 60 years old this year

I did a 1003 mile road tour last weekend

and planning a 2500-3000 road tour from West Wales into CZ, Austria, Switz, Nurburgring, and Ardenne Forest at the end of this month!

Yet I put a post up abut running a group event following Offy's Dyke [border between Wale and England] which gets 204 views yet nobody even comments!

https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,3989.0.html

Losing sight?  Shut up!
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 05:53:21 AM
I don't know which report you have been reading, but if I have a guess at the KTM 1290 SA am I correct? Just like you I used to do the long trips at week-ends (when I could), which for me wasn't that often as I played footie semi-pro, so most Saturdays were done for time anyway. But I have ridden a bike legally since I was 16, for me it is the preferred method of transport wherever I go, in fact I recently sold my car as it wasn't getting used and my other half said it attracted too much attention for her to use it. In the early days, I had lots of mates who had bikes, we went everywhere, whenever we could, but as the years went by, people got married, wives didn't like bikes and gradually that group dwindled to me and a couple of others. Where I work, me and a few guys go out regular, but a few others who I consider are "playing" at being a motorcyclist, they rack up 4k miles in 5 years, personally, if I did that little miles, I wouldn't bother. As regards your proposed trip along Off's Dyke Bert,I will have been one of the 204 viewers, but I don't see any point in me making a comment, if I ain't going. It looks a good run out and you must have a VERY understanding other half, considering the time you spend out on your bike. Mine is good as regards bikes considering she doesn't like me having one, but would never ask me to get rid, but she does like to spend time with me now and again. Having said that, I do get about a fair bit, TT2015, trip to Scotland, trip to Ireland, trip to France, trip to Holland, plus other week-end runs out, so I don't do bad for time away. Also I have the demon work to consider. As regards people going for fish and chips with all the gear, I don't have a problem, their bike, their life, I wouldn't do it myself though. Whilst I have been doing what I do, I have had various bike repair business's, a couple of car garage's. Through the years I have seen the change in bike tastes and the complexity accordingly, like it or not, its called progress, the misty eyed days of Fizzies, ss50's, RD250'S etc., have long gone. Whether that is a plus, or a minus, depends on how you view life.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 07:55:23 AM
Yep it's up to the person what he/she wants to ride. New bigger bikes are good. But my point was that we seem to have lost (in my opinion) sight of reality in that we don't need a £10k+ bike to do 90% of our trips.
Every now and again I get on a smaller bike and like the way the lightness and need to work at keeping a head of speed up.
I think there's something satisfying about giving a smaller/sower bike a handful without the fear of hitting 100mph in a blink of an eye.

As for the pannies....I've had mine on once when I went two up to the west coast. I really don;t see the need or the point to keep them on all the time looking like I'm on a round the world trip or something....that's just me of course:)
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline the mechanic

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 10:01:15 AM
Now I see where you are coming from, back in the day, bikes that did a bit of everything were known as UJM's Universal Japanese Motorcycles. True they didn't cost that much, but then again in '75 I was on £11 a week as an apprentice and £20 for kicking a ball about, I think my SS50 cost about £200 notes, then my RD250 cost £495 all in. So in the scheme of things, £10k for a bike isn't a huge amount of cash these days. As regards whether we need a 10k bike to do most of our trips, I don't think we have much option, after all, we do like a bit of excitement from a bike and as you say, some smaller bikes can do that. But then can that same smaller bike hoist you and your gear to Northern Scotland, yes it can, but it is much easier on a bigger more powerful bike. On to the panniers debate, I like you use them only when going a decent distance, for the vast majority of my luggage, a Givi Trekker Outback box will suffice, in fact on my last bike, I never used the panniers at all. Like I said before, different strokes for different folks I guess.

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 10:26:11 AM
As it happens I do have a very understanding wife

Having said that, looking at your avatar, my missus hasn't got the legs that yours obviously has!   :159: :745: :159: :745:
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: June 03, 2015, 10:58:28 AM
*Originally Posted by slomogadgie [+]
...but how many of the others could get by on a good going 400 or even an old x7 lol? So are we losing sight on what we actually need for a bike?

My main bike is a 2008 XT660Z, 50Hp go anywhere I point it, the CT I bought specifically for 2-up touring and lug along 7 cubic meters of womens-stuff  :087: And it does this job very well indeed.

I kinda agree with the sentiment of the OP, 'we' the buying public are being driven by the marketing men

(* We = a sizable chunk of people with decent disposable income)

You are right, there is no need for powerful bikes to cover the globe, in fact I would rather take my XT than any of the up-to-date 1000cc+ bikes when I take off on adventurous travels. But that doesn't mean I don't like taking the CT out, or the Tiger before that, or the XJR1300 before that or the Varaderos or VFRs of the past. Things change and people buy what they like and can afford, it's not bad, just different.

I certainly wouldn't take a £10k+ bike where I take this one :

So I guess it's horses for courses.

I did love my Varaderos though....

arab-exile