Author Topic: Zumo 590  (Read 3882 times)

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Zumo 590
on: May 19, 2015, 11:04:18 AM
Yesterday was my lucky day! A big Dutch on-line store made a mistake with the price of their Zumo590.  €379 and free delivery! They probably noticed very quick that there was something wrong, because 30 minutes later it was the normal price again!
I don't care, mine will be delivered today!   :047:    :046:

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Re: Zumo 590
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 11:28:10 AM
Some guys have all the luck.

't is u gejeund  :038:

Have fun with the new toy.

Offline murbike

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Carnoustie
Reply #2 on: May 19, 2015, 12:38:02 PM
 I bought a cheap sat nav from ebay 5 yrs ago. I also bought a waterproof cover for it and a ball and socket cradle to attach to the handlebars. Full european mapping. Use it on both car and bike and it's still going strong. Total cost-£70. :152:

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2015, 01:48:58 PM
That's a good deal! But, as I often use ready made trips, I like to be able to modify them with Basecamp. It is a choice.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 12:35:06 AM
Ok GPS does my head in...no idea how it works. Bought one from a guy on here. Took it out it's box looked at it switched it on, couldn;t work out how to use it, put it back in the box...sorted!
So what is a ready made trip. Do you put in your own routes. Surely any GPS (says he...the guy that can't work one) allows you to put in destinations a bit like make up a google map route.....does it?
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 06:53:46 AM
Slomo, I have to admit that it is not easy. But, thanks to the internet, you can find a lot of info in several forums! It takes time, a lot of time. But at the end of the day, you will be able to make your own routes, or use ready made ones, downloaded from the net from peoples who shared them.
I don't know what kind of GPS you have, but Garmin is (for now) the only, able to "construct" your own trip.

Give it a try, and start reading reading and reading. That's all I can say.

Next summer we are heading to Scotland. I will use routes of friends who are there now. They will send me the files, I eventually modify them a little, and than store them in my SatNav.

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 06:59:10 AM
Good price on the 590lm, thats 390 money  :047:

I bought a cheap sat nav from ebay 5 yrs ago. I also bought a waterproof cover for it and a ball and socket cradle to attach to the handlebars. Full european mapping. Use it on both car and bike and it's still going strong. Total cost-£70. :152:

I bought a cheap chienese bike sat nav for about £100 and i will say it was pretty good, only issue was i really struggled to get updated maps for it and when i finally did it didnmt work properly and i had to go back to the old ones. This was the main reason for me going for a Garmin 390LM

Ok GPS does my head in...no idea how it works. Bought one from a guy on here. Took it out it's box looked at it switched it on, couldn;t work out how to use it, put it back in the box...sorted!
So what is a ready made trip. Do you put in your own routes. Surely any GPS (says he...the guy that can't work one) allows you to put in destinations a bit like make up a google map route.....does it?

Certainly agree with you on the learning curve on some kit Slomo, can make you feel like slamming your head in the door. But like most things if you stick with it youll get there in the end. As you rightly say, on the chinese one i had you could plot routes on the unit and save them. Worked for me for a couple of years fine. With Garmin and Tomtom you can do all the planning on your pc and then transfer the routes to the GPS. Its a lot easier. Garmin uses basecamp for this but it is possible to do the planning on Google maps and tranfer it to the GPS. Its a bit more long winded but it can be done.

Paul

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 07:04:01 AM
Heres a link to a youtube video, the guy who did this has several clips on using different features on the Garmin and basecamp.
I think he's done a great job of explaining how to use all the different features. Really useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sLSv96Grpg

Paul