Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: MPG...?  (Read 12408 times)

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: MPG...?
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 05:16:11 AM »
That’s probably about the best MPG I’ve heard of from a CT. I’ve had 55 a couple of times but then that’s an imperial gallon (4.5 litres)I’m assuming yours is a US Gallon (3.7 lites).

Offline Plane Dr

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2016 VFR1200xDCT
  • City / Town: DFW Metromess
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2019, 08:29:08 PM »
I havent gotten over 37 for more than a single tank.  Never less.  So thats US Gal, about 44 miles to a real gallon.

My BMW got 44 US, the wee about the same.

I can stretch 200 miles to a tank but start looking at 170.
Bikes are like women.  What you want and what you think you want change after the first ride.

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2019, 01:51:07 PM »
Well.... adding the big Givi Panniers has changed the mpg significantly for me.  I have filled the bike five times.  The first four were all right at 50mpg.  This last tank with the big boxes.... I am right at 42 mpg, just filled up at 214 miles.

I am fine trading some performance for MPG's... and if I can get 200 miles on a tank, I'm fine with that.

Offline Friday

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Manitowoc, WI
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2019, 05:54:05 PM »
A DCT weighs 22 lbs more than a manual (15 lbs of that is greater dry engine weight), and is circulating nearly 30oz more oil than the manual. That 22 lbs is static weight in that it cannot shift around the chassis like a rider to enhance traction or lighten suspension at times.

While driven very conservatively over a standard U.S. EPA combined route the DCT might show better MPG, in real life the bike in DCT configuration is pushing more weight and churning more viscous fluid resistance than a manual — ridden identically in real life, I’d be surprised to see a DCT register mpg better than a manual.

Many folks see the DCT do better MPG in a “Sport” or “M” setting than “D”. Depending on how one rides, the early shifting in D can lug the engine and that will consume a bit more gas.

Atop that, there’s the traffic and congestion factor that will affect mileage.

Riding in a metropolitan area but with rural about 30 minutes out where the bike can open up and not have to move up-and-down over the entire RPM and torque spectrum, I’m averaging around 42 mpg. That’s pretty in line with most DCT’ers in The UK, Ireland, Continental Europe and The States. It’s a Honda, after all.

Offline noddy

• Crosstourer Member
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2019, 01:50:10 PM »
I can regularly get more than 200 miles to a tank.

John

Offline Big_John

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: '16 Black Manual
  • City / Town: Black Forest
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2019, 03:51:52 AM »
I finally ran through a tank of gas with abysmal MPG.

Oh wait.... It was all my fault!

I had to ride from New Mexico to Colorado on Interstate 25.  Leaving Santa Fe, a beautiful, red, Ferrari merged onto the interstate in front of me and "TOOK OFF"!!!  I decided to let it be my "Bird Dog", sniffy out all the cops and I stayed about half a mile behind.

Around towns, he would slow down to 85 MPH.... but on some straight-aways.... I had to press the bike to 115 mph, just to keep up.  He just kept going and going.... Finally, I had to exit for a fill-up.  We had run 170 miles in an hour and 40 minutes.... and my tank was nearly bone dry.  The computer said I average 34 mpg.

It was a fun sweeper and the VFRX was spectacular!!!!  My previous BMW GS could never have kept up.

Offline willb

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2019, 12:34:40 PM »
Jeez I must ride with a very heavy right wrist  :005:

My current Fuelly log shows 42.1MPG (UK Imp gallons) over 17.5k miles.

I really struggle to get 200 miles from a tank except constant motorway cruising.

Offline Grabcon

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Castle Rock, CO
« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2019, 09:15:21 PM »
Okay I have been using an app called Simply Auto to track all of my vehicles and the fuel, maintenance and expenses. I am in the US and I do most of my riding above 6000 feet. This is important as fuel economy goes up with higher elevations and down with lower. And I mean as much as 10mpg up from 6000 FT to 12000 FT. Unfortunately I can only guess over time where I was so I have no historical elevation data.

As an added note I have installed VeeeFour ECC and using the ECC mileage has improved at least 2 mpg. I attribute the increase to more steady throttle and holding a speed within the limits of where I won't get a special award. And don't ever use this line "Officer I wasn't speeding I was qualifying." Yea not a good idea.

Here are some stats

15911 miles
102 fill ups
316.726 US Gal Fuel Qty
$1033.55 Fuel Cost
$3.26 Fuel Cost Average

Average MPG 47.99

Worst 35.75 MPG
Best 58.33

In The Barn
2016 VFR1200X - Mine, 2016 BMW F700GS - The wife's bike, Brad

arab-exile