Author Topic: Which sat nav? Tomtom rider 400 or garmin zumo 590??  (Read 4603 times)

Offline Muddyone

• Crosstourer Junior
Hi all,
So keep searching on line and there does not seem T&C bve a head to head comparison so hoping you guys can help.
Obviously there is a not insignificant price difference here, but that to one side which one?
My number one priority surprisingly is accurate and clear navigation.  I had an old Tom Tom rider (6 years ago?) and my main issue was that I could go not use it on the bike. Setting routes in the house was impossible and it would not work in the car.

So some real life experiances would be great!

So come on let's have a tomtom garmin head to head! Who's going to win?

Oh and Please please please keep this to the current models, it's a hard enough choice without throwing in past ones!

Thanks

Offline justin

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Re: Which sat nav? Tomtom rider 400 or garmin zumo 590??
Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 07:26:44 AM
Zumo 590! Absolutely brilliant

Offline nsxer

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Black CT
  • City / Town: Craigavon
Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 08:44:09 AM
i like the garmin stuff
but i think both have their own issues

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:19:29 AM
Hi

Probably a bit early for reviews on the 400 as they've only just come out

Personally I have the Rider 5, it's expensive I must admit but you do get free map updates for the life of the unit so that is something to factor in

It's very simple and intuitive to use and the lane indication is great, it's really a general public (no brainer) satnav, you can also use the included Tyre software for route planning if you can be arsed to learn how to use it

Mine works well with a Sena bluetooth helmet intercom and the touch screen works well with normal leather gloves

The base supplies power if you want or the battery will last all day

It works fine inside a car but if you do this often you'd really need the TomTom accessory base with a sucker mount and built in speaker as there is no speaker in the unit

Maybe the Garmin is little more technical if you go off road etc, maybe a bit more hardcore ?

I'm very satisfied with the TomTom mounted on an Engimoto bracket
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

arab-exile