Author Topic: Top Box Plate Disaster!!  (Read 5813 times)

Offline Chieftainman

• Crosstourer Junior
Top Box Plate Disaster!!
on: May 05, 2015, 04:44:17 PM
..... well it was almost a disaster!!

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has shared this experience please - I suspect I have a minor battle ahead and any support I can get would be appreciated.

I went to Oulton Park yesterday to watch the BSB event. Prior to leaving I contemplated fitting my Top Box and taking some very expensive photography equipment with me. Fortunately, I decided not to and to just go and enjoy the racing.

I was about half an hour into my journey when I felt something touch my backside! I was sure I'd started the journey without a pillion so I reached behind me to try to establish what it was. Before I got to touch anything though I heard a crash behind me. I checked my mirror quickly and saw a black thing bouncing along the road. I pulled over immediately to find that the plate used to hold the Top Box was missing and, as I ran back along the road, I recognised said part lying there and looking pretty second hand! Thankfully I was on a deserted A466 between Chepstow and Monmouth (it was 7am!) so nobody got injured and there was no damage to another vehicle. I dread to think what state my Top Box and it's contents would have been in had they been involved in a 70mph tumble down the road!!

It seems that the nuts just worked themselves loose and fell off! The bike is only a few months old with less than 700 miles on the clock and it's just come back from it's first service. The dealer fitted the rack as part of the Highlander package but it looks like they're going to try and get a new one from Honda under warranty. When Honda tell them it was the fitting that was at fault then we'll see what the dealer will do!! The service receptionist did try to suggest that I should be checking all nuts and bolts before a long journey - bless her!!

Anyway, if any of you guys have had your nuts fall off it would be good to hear from you.

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Re: Top Box Plate Disaster!!
Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 05:56:27 PM
Does the instruction manual/fitting guide suggest "threadlock" to be used?
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 09:28:07 PM
As far as I can remember: no threadlock

But which bolts came loose? The big ones that holds the iron plate to your frame or the tiny bolts (screws) that hold the plastic plate connected tot the iron plate?

Offline Chieftainman

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #3 on: May 05, 2015, 09:48:14 PM
Thanks for the replies Guys.

I think it's the 4 larger nuts that came loose - the ones that hold the Topbox base plate to the plate on the standard bike.

I didn't see the installation instructions as the installation was carried out before I took delivery of the bike. I would have expected something like threadlock to be used but clearly it wasn't. I'll let you know what transpires.

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #4 on: May 06, 2015, 09:42:30 AM
I'd be inclined to fire it back to the dealer along with the use of the phrase "possible negligence"?

If the work was done by a Honda Main Dealer, they'll crap themselves and puts you in a more powerful position

Ask to see the worksheet completed by the mechanic?  See if they've charged you [or listed down] threadlock on the parts-used section - if not then why not?

Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:45:30 AM by Fat Bert
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #5 on: May 06, 2015, 10:07:25 AM
I always check my nuts before a journey. It's uncomfortable otherwise and saves having to remove your gloves for a sort out at the traffic lights :005:

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: May 06, 2015, 12:34:58 PM
*Originally Posted by Harry H [+]
I always check my nuts before a journey. It's uncomfortable otherwise and saves having to remove your gloves for a sort out at the traffic lights :005:

a la Rossi and his "Butt Plug" pre-race check as he leaves pit lane every time

https://youtu.be/xKiwdxTFho8
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline Chieftainman

• Crosstourer Junior
Reply #7 on: May 06, 2015, 07:28:53 PM
Ha ha ha ... Great advice and even better comic value Guys ... Thanks very much.

I'll keep the negligence card in my pocket for now Bert but it's undoubtedly the way to go if they try to absolve themselves of any reaponsibilty!!!