Author Topic: Driving me mad  (Read 9596 times)

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Driving me mad
on: May 04, 2015, 06:58:46 AM
No not my girlfriend....that's another story lovley though she is.

The CT

Had it for a couple of years now and it has never let me down. A couple weeks ago I pushed the button and it started no probs....I think it is the first time I've started it this year. Great stuff. 550 miles in a couple of days over many different types of road and nothing fell off.
BUT!
I'm really starting to get fed up of the thing, which is a shame....
Wind noise and buffeting even after 3 different screens types is still unacceptable for a bike of this nature (ADV/Touring).
Weight of the thing is starting to get to me when pushng it around.
Height is also a worry
suspension is a nightmare...well that's not fair, but it is a pain sometimes.
Girlfriend fed up with the buffeting on the back at anything over 55-60.
Girlfriend fed up with the top box digging into her back
so really thinking of getting rid of it.....buit what would I get? No idea really.

So I'm currently looking at buying a decent shock and a different top box. But at the back of my head I'm thinking will it be money wasted.

Don't get me wrong, the CT is a very capable bike, and when I'm out on the road with it I enjoy it 80% of the time. But it's that last 20% which is the worry.
I am by no means a 'speeder' but I also don't want to be limited to 50-60 all day...well for the 100 miules before my GF moans about the wind/buffeting/top box.

what should I do??
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
Re: Driving me mad
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 07:14:50 AM
An advice, buy a car! No noise, no buffeting, no topcase pushing in your GF back etc..... :431:

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 07:59:54 AM
Other girlfriend of give her, her own bike  .....  :008:                     

:431:

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 08:12:23 AM
I had the same screen issues and tried a couple before settling on the Givi airflow, which has settled it for me, and its adjustable on the move (if your careful) Have also had the same thoughts about changing ( also an ex-BMW, most models, owner) but I really cannot see that there is anything that much better out there, yes it is heavy and you have to be careful pushing the thing around, but once on the move its no problem, the suspension could be better, but it is not that bad, and can be changed. The deciding factor for me is the DCT, now if BMW brought out a DCT model I would consider it!

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 08:50:14 AM
Hi

For the buffeting you could try making this,  apparently it works well  :062:

https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,2835.0.html

I'm planning to make one as soon as I can find a piece of plastic, in the mean time I've tried just putting my hand in the gap between the fork leg and the tank whilst riding and it seems that indeed this is where the turbulence is coming from

For info I have the Honda touring screen fitted
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 09:26:33 AM
*Originally Posted by Barbancourt [+]
An advice, buy a car! No noise, no buffeting, no topcase pushing in your GF back etc..... :431:

LOL! Flippant comments but still made me smile.
Got a car thanks.
My GF is generally a good passenger. We drove 500miles on a Tuono one weekend and she didn’t moan. However, the buffeting is an issue with her. The top box is not a biggie to be honest, and working on getting that changed out soon. Noise and buffeting for me is a pain to be honest. It is worse than a bike with no fairing. In fact on the back roads I often stand up on the pegs to get some nice clean air flow so things are quiet for a while.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 09:31:42 AM
*Originally Posted by Nickel [+]
Other girlfriend of give her, her own bike  .....  :008:                     

:431:

Tried enough girlfriends - and wives for theat matter - so I'll be trying to keep this one.
she did pass her CBT several years ago, but alas she doesn't have the confidence to go it alone.

Offline slomogadgie

• Non Active
  • Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 09:32:48 AM
*Originally Posted by GADGET [+]
I had the same screen issues and tried a couple before settling on the Givi airflow, which has settled it for me, and its adjustable on the move (if your careful) Have also had the same thoughts about changing ( also an ex-BMW, most models, owner) but I really cannot see that there is anything that much better out there, yes it is heavy and you have to be careful pushing the thing around, but once on the move its no problem, the suspension could be better, but it is not that bad, and can be changed. The deciding factor for me is the DCT, now if BMW brought out a DCT model I would consider it!
[/quote

Might have to look at that then. Cheers

arab-exile