Author Topic: Little review of my GPS setup.  (Read 7529 times)

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Little review of my GPS setup.
on: May 02, 2015, 01:01:00 PM
Done a few miles with the Garmin and the Engimoto mount now and i have to say im really pleased with both.

The Zumo390 has been great though i have learned to be accurate with my waypoint positioning when planning routes on BaseCamp. If you dont quite ride over the position of the waypoint the GPS will try and send you back to "hit" it, sometimes even if the point you selected is only on the other side of the road. Fourtunatly there is a "skip Waypoint" button.  Ive not had an occaision when the screen has washed out in the sunshine something that used to plague my old SatNav.
I cant say BaseCamp is the easiest thing in the world to use but with a bit of patience you get there. You can actually plan routes on Google maps which i think is far superioir the convert them into a file and import them the the Zumo. Ive done it once,its a bit long winded but possible.
It seems that the Bluetooth signal isnt as "loud" as my old Satnav, as a result i was struggling to hear the directions at higher speeds. Its a cheapy chinese headset i use and whilst it was very loud before its not so with the Garmin. Ive now been a bit more fussy with the spaeker position within the helmet and its a lot better.

The Engimoto mount is excellent. I did try the Migsel mount with my old Gps but found is shook about a lot. I know several peiople on here have one and are happy with it. The Zumo cradle bolts directly to the Engimoto mount so theres no Ram ball and extention to wobble about and the SatNav is held just below eye level without getting in the way.  I think it comes in a far bit cheaper than the Migsel too. It really is a top bit of kit.

Paul

Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:01:04 PM by Hartley

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
Re: Little review of my GPS setup.
Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:34:56 PM
I really want to get a dedicated GPS instead of relying on Copilot but the stingy part of me doesn't want to pay such a huge amount for a motorcycle GPS especially when you see how cheap car ones are

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 04:33:09 PM
 :0461: They do seem to be over priced, there's no doubt. 

I bought one of these a couple of years ago:
http://hitcar.com.cn/eshowshop.asp?/80.html

I will say it was pretty good for what i paid for it, about £100. It runs IGO software which is good and its got bluetooth.  You can input routes on the unit itself, ive saved to entire trips on it and it worked fine. The downside was that unless your a bit of a computer whizz its very difficult to update the maps and you cant plan routes on the pc. I also had a charging problem with it, as if it used the power faster than it charged, towards the end of a long day it would be flat. I worked round it in the end.
There are updated versions with a bigger screen on ebay at the mo.

After having a GPS i decided it was worth upgrading.

I went for the Zumo 390lm when a deal came up for 264 quid at Halfords, not sure id pay RRP of 380 for it.

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 04:51:18 PM
I got a Tomtom mounted in the middle of my handlebars, and wired into the L/H panel somewhere by my dealer.
Also got cardo scala headset for the important camera warnings !

Lifetime maps as well, which is worth a few bob or two with tomtom.

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 05:53:12 PM
I also have a TomTom rider, too expensive yes, but nevertheless very good

It was originally mounted on the bars with the Ram mount but i've recently fitted an Engimoto mount which places it nicely above the clocks, haven't had a chance to really try it yet but it seems pretty good   :002:

Also waiting to retry my Sena intercom since I flashed the firmware
I had a bug with the spoken instructions  from the TomTom so I opened a case with Sena and they included a fix in the next firmware update, now that's what I call customer service   :020:
Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 05:55:09 PM by leadfarmer
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 06:25:14 PM
Thats good service, have been toying with a Sena SMH5.

Offline leadfarmer

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: R1200 GS LC
Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 07:04:46 PM
*Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
Thats good service, have been toying with a Sena SMH5.

That's what I have, very pleased with them for rider to pillion chat + GPS directions
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul ....

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 08:07:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Hartley [+]
The Zumo390 has been great though i have learned to be accurate with my waypoint positioning when planning routes on BaseCamp. If you dont quite ride over the position of the waypoint the GPS will try and send you back to "hit" it, sometimes even if the point you selected is only on the other side of the road.

You can change that in Basecamp so you don't have to "hit" them to continue.

arab-exile