Author Topic: Strange starting issue  (Read 2054 times)

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Strange starting issue
on: April 29, 2015, 11:57:34 AM
Here's a weird one.

Couple of times recently when I've briefly stopped the bike's battery has been completely flat and won't start.

Once when the clocks changed. Turned the bike off at a set of lights, changed the clock and totally flat battery. Luckily there was a garage across the road so got a jump. The next time about 2 weeks later stopped for petrol and again totally flat. Had to call the AA that time. The chap checked everything and all he could come up with was dirty connectors to the battery.

The bike can sit in the garage all weekend and start just fine on a Monday morning. A couple of days ago same problem  arose when I stopped for a chat at the top of my road. So had to push it home.

I've bought a new battery as I couldn't think of anything else it may be. Charged up the old one and been checking it in the garage for the last few days with no drop in voltage  and it seems to be holding it's charge so I not convinced thats the problem and am now concerned it's going to happen again with the new battery.

I'm not running any accessories and apart from the quick clock change the ignition was off both other times it happened. Bike had been running for at least 10 miles on all occasions before it happened. Alternator seems to be kicking out the usual 14.4 v with bike running.

I'd take it to the dealers but getting them to try and replicate this random problem ain't going to be easy

Any ideas  :084:
Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:52:39 PM by Harry H

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Re: Strange starting issue
Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 10:26:01 PM
Hi HarryH,
just a suggestion, I and a few on here have a few rare moment when I push the starter button I get nothing, not even a click, push again and it starts. had an Aprilia before with the same problem and it got worse until one day the starter solenoid stuck on, new solenoid and the problem was gone, put a Hitachi 150amp in that time. knowing this I cleaned up the connections (of the solenoid) on the CT and haven't had the problem since. From memory its a Hitachi in the CT, its regarded as one of the best, you may have a loose/dirty connection here. Be careful not to over tighten as the copper terminals are encased in plastic. might be worth a look   
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

Offline Harry H

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 03:41:43 PM
Trecker

I did have a similar problem to the one you mention about 6 moths ago. Push the starter button and nothing. That turned out to be corrosion on the starter switch itself. A quick rub with sand paper solved that problem. Couple of weeks later the indicators started to play up so a good squirt of WD40 in the switch gear solved that one.

But the issue I have now is that it's tuning over OK just without the umph to start. Sounds just like a flat battery. But is completely random. It'll be fine for a couple of weeks then dead.  Old Battery is still on the bench at home and has lost .5v in just over a week now.

Offline thetrecker

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: CT Manual Red
Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 08:04:21 PM
Hi Harry,
that a little different, thought when you said- the battery has been completely flat and wouldn't start- it was just nothing when you hit the start button, turning over slowly is back to the battery, ( still possibly could be a corroded connection on the starter or solenoid).@ 12 volts its considered flat, should be around 12.7v steady to be considered healthy on standby( fully charged). Also it could show 12.7v but fail to produce the current demanded by the starter. May just have to see if the new battery cures the problem.
Thetrecker. Sometimes your the bug and sometimes your the windshield.

arab-exile