Author Topic: A cheery nod or not  (Read 8149 times)

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
A cheery nod or not
on: April 25, 2015, 09:54:19 PM
What ever happened to the motorcyclist cheery gentle nod or friendly wave.
Took a ride last weekend and despite numerous attempts failed to get any sort of response from any of the motorcyclists passing in the other direction - miserable buggers - I simply cannot understand why.
In the past every motorcyclist use to acknowledge one another so why not anymore.
I'd be interested to hear in your possible reasons for this.
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: A cheery nod or not
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 08:12:59 AM
It might have been down to what you were riding Dave, does seem that some makes tend to have a higher number of riders that don't nod, wave etc. May have thought you wouldn't respond anyway.

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 09:52:31 AM
Some sportsbike riders ignore you unless you are also on a similar kind of kind, same for the GS crowd !

Most riders in my part of the country do nod, wave or flash their lights though !

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 10:32:04 AM
I do think there is an element of truth in both the above comments, there appears to have developed a situation where make or type of motorcycle seems to dictate as to whether you get a response or not, though it never use to be case.
At the risk of being controversial I do tend to find RT owners to be the most consistent "non nodders" or is that just me.  :164:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline MShooter

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 14 VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Coffs Harbour
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 11:16:01 AM
So the good ol nod seems to be used less frequently in Aus too. In my experience GS riders tend to be the worst, closely followed by the Harley crowd. I may burn for that sentence, but facts are facts..... :010:

Interesting to note, the further west you travel, the frequency of a nod increases and the little waves start appearing. Gotta love the country folk. Maybe this simple gesture to a fellow rider is lost to the younger generation? I will also say it depends on what I'm riding. On my MV Brutale, waves, nods and even a chat a the lights from riders and drivers. There isn't many of them down here, maybe that's why? However on the Crosstourer I just blend in with the crowd, and I don't mind that one little bit.
I'm not as dumb as you look.

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 12:14:16 PM
*Originally Posted by steve [+]
Some sportsbike riders ignore you unless you are also on a similar kind of kind, same for the GS crowd !

Most riders in my part of the country do nod, wave or flash their lights though !

Or, in good GS style, stick ya right leg out!

The elitism extends into GS country - I ride a classic 14 year old R1150GS [acknowledged to be the best Beemer ever] yet get ignored by the the 1200 boys - and the Water Cooled "Toilet Boys" [WC?] are even worse - they're not called tossers without due reason!

"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer dct
  • City / Town: york
Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 01:55:49 PM
Never mind a nod,i nearly got nicked by plods camera on A64 York road, passed half a dozen bikes coming towards me not a jot, White van man warned me by flashing headlights. We all need to support fellow bikers like we used too.Iam used to been ignored on my Nuda 900 they must think its a Vespa or wot.
mafakin

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #7 on: April 26, 2015, 02:46:50 PM
*Originally Posted by pete fairbairn [+]
Never mind a nod,i nearly got nicked by plods camera on A64 York road, passed half a dozen bikes coming towards me not a jot, White van man warned me by flashing headlights. We all need to support fellow bikers like we used too.Iam used to been ignored on my Nuda 900 they must think its a Vespa or wot.

That's disgraceful - particularly from Yorkshiremen

"Team Fat Bert" Racing