Author Topic: GIVI PLXR1110 PAINT FINISH  (Read 1937 times)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
GIVI PLXR1110 PAINT FINISH
on: April 16, 2015, 10:16:29 PM
I have GIVI V35s panniers on my CT, so the fitting rails are PLXR1110 I think . . .I have removed them today for cleaning and inspection due to rust and flaking paint . . .not impressed with the quality at all, and certainly not up to GIVIs normal standard. Anyone else got these fittings? They are painted black finish . . .I have the GIVI front protection crash bars and have had no issue at all as they are top quality and excellent paint finish. I am hoping that a rub down with fine sandpaper or wet and dry paper, then a spray primer and black car paint will do the job. . . or would powder coating be better option ?

Offline Acrosland

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Haworth
Re: GIVI PLXR1110 PAINT FINISH
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 12:11:33 AM
I was just about to post the same  question, noticed mine had corroded badly. Although I had the same problem with the GIVING rack when I had the Transalpiand ended up spraying them black.

I even wrote to GIVI and got a not bothered type of reply.

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 05:39:07 AM
I have the same Givi rack, covered 15000kms and still looks like new. Used in a lot of wet weather and mostly in the Alps and other similar areas. My racks come off after each summer and are given a proper clean and wax/seal.

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:33:18 PM
Job done . . . Spent yesterday afternoon in the garden sanding down the racks with p80 grade wet n dry paper. . . Then washed in hot soapy water,, followed by wipe all over with rag soaked in white spirit, then left to dry overnight. . . Today sprayed with Hammerite satin finish black . . . 4 coats with an hour between each, look letter than new, tomorrow will wipe over with ACF50 . . . .  Ready to refit to bike for Ireland tour next month.