Author Which winter riding option  (Read 2385 times)

• Offline Big Bob   au

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    353
    • Topic Author

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Topic Author
    • City / Town: Perth
    Which winter riding option
    on: Apr 16, 2015, 06.49 am
    Apr 16, 2015, 06.49 am
    Hiya folks.  Now that I'm getting old I'm getting soft and want some comfort for winter riding here in Australia. (yes we get winter ;) )

I have two options for hand comfort on top of the heated grips.

1. Givi handguard extenders to keep the wind off the top of the hands.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161464786899?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2. Buy some 12v of battery powered gloves to keep the top of my hands warm.

The problem I have with the handguard extenders is I'm paying 72 Euro plus postage for two pieces of $5 plastic.

But I know SFA about buying electric/battery powered gloves. Do you go for 12v or battery. Gloves or liners?

• Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    115

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
    Re: Which winter riding option
    Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2015, 10.21 am
    Apr 16, 2015, 10.21 am
    *Originally Posted by Big Bob [+]
    The problem I have with the handguard extenders is I'm paying 72 Euro plus postage for two pieces of $5 plastic.

I thought the same until they arrived.  They aren't just small extenders, they are a (almost) full sized guard that sits behind the OE guard, and extends above it.

It's a bit of over engineering, but it's good in that you can remove them later if you choose, without leaving any screw holes.

They do make a difference in the wet, though I've got some rather special Halvarssonns gloves and I can't tell if the the gloves of the guard extenders that are keeping my hands warm in the English winter. Or maybe both !

<edit - additional info>

I also have a Kiess Heated body warmer, it just warms the Kidney area and worked brilliantly for me in northern Scandinavia a few years ago, that and heated grips.
    Last Edit: Apr 16, 2015, 10.22 am by Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Offline dentonlad

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    116

Offline dentonlad

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Bike: VFR800X, NC700X
    • City / Town: Denton
    Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2015, 12.02 pm
    Apr 16, 2015, 12.02 pm
    I've got the Givi extenders and they do make a big difference over the stock guards. I still went and had heated grips fitted. They have kept me riding through winter days where the temperatures have been fairly near freezing and occasionally below.

Almost everyone that I know who has heated gloves swears by them with the Gerbing XR12's seeming to be the most popular.

• Offline Superjeap   nl

• Crosstourer Pro  ‐    375

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
    • Has left the building
    • Bike: VFR1200XD
    Reply #3 on: Apr 25, 2015, 12.23 pm
    Apr 25, 2015, 12.23 pm
    I've had both options last winter (yes its getting summer here  :001: ).
    The Gerbing XR12 gloves are a bit disappointing but it really helps (combined with the Honda heated grips). They only heat on the upper side of your hands  :013:
    I also had the Acerbis Led Vision Handguards placed, they are much larger then stock ones.

For next winter I've ordered a Topsellerie heated seat  :169: