Author Topic: Which winter riding option  (Read 1807 times)

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
Which winter riding option
on: April 16, 2015, 06:49:41 AM
Hiya folks.  Now that I'm getting old I'm getting soft and want some comfort for winter riding here in Australia. (yes we get winter ;) )

I have two options for hand comfort on top of the heated grips.

1. Givi handguard extenders to keep the wind off the top of the hands.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/161464786899?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

2. Buy some 12v of battery powered gloves to keep the top of my hands warm.

The problem I have with the handguard extenders is I'm paying 72 Euro plus postage for two pieces of $5 plastic.

But I know SFA about buying electric/battery powered gloves. Do you go for 12v or battery. Gloves or liners?

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Which winter riding option
Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 10:21:12 AM
*Originally Posted by Big Bob [+]
The problem I have with the handguard extenders is I'm paying 72 Euro plus postage for two pieces of $5 plastic.

I thought the same until they arrived.  They aren't just small extenders, they are a (almost) full sized guard that sits behind the OE guard, and extends above it.

It's a bit of over engineering, but it's good in that you can remove them later if you choose, without leaving any screw holes.

They do make a difference in the wet, though I've got some rather special Halvarssonns gloves and I can't tell if the the gloves of the guard extenders that are keeping my hands warm in the English winter. Or maybe both !

<edit - additional info>

I also have a Kiess Heated body warmer, it just warms the Kidney area and worked brilliantly for me in northern Scandinavia a few years ago, that and heated grips.
Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:22:46 AM by Gas_Up_Lets_Go

Offline dentonlad

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR800X, NC700X
  • City / Town: Denton
Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:02:52 PM
I've got the Givi extenders and they do make a big difference over the stock guards. I still went and had heated grips fitted. They have kept me riding through winter days where the temperatures have been fairly near freezing and occasionally below.

Almost everyone that I know who has heated gloves swears by them with the Gerbing XR12's seeming to be the most popular.
Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Superjeap

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
Reply #3 on: April 25, 2015, 12:23:49 PM
I've had both options last winter (yes its getting summer here  :001: ).
The Gerbing XR12 gloves are a bit disappointing but it really helps (combined with the Honda heated grips). They only heat on the upper side of your hands  :013:
I also had the Acerbis Led Vision Handguards placed, they are much larger then stock ones.

For next winter I've ordered a Topsellerie heated seat  :169:

arab-exile