Author Topic: Manual or DCT?  (Read 16649 times)

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Manual or DCT?
on: April 15, 2015, 10:09:42 PM
In the throws of buying a CT

So ................. Manual or DCT?

I'd appreciate some views and experiences

My riding style is primarily "solo" and I prefer to "make progress" rather than "bimbling"

95% tarmac

Discuss .../ ??
Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 10:21:33 AM by Fat Bert
"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: Manual or DCT?
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:34:41 PM
I'm tempted just to say "try both" but as I've owned a DCT for over two years I've got to say that if you don't mind the extra cost and weight of the DCT,  then I feel that the system is stunning and gives you a big grin every time that you take the bike out and really use it to its full potential. I've not yet heard of a DCT owner who has regretted their purchas and has been nothing but impressed by the way it works.
That said I'm not taking anything away from a manual as I've ridden one aswell and the big V4 is just great on either model.
The DCT suits my needs very well, and I can't imagine owning anything else other than a DCT for my main bike.
Just make sure it's black as they're faster  :164:

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 11:04:12 PM
As usual, Saxon is talking rubbish... Red is much faster.
On the DCT question I tend to agree with him though, ride both and try to be open minded. I tried both and went for a manual CT. The thing that put me of the DCT more than anything was the fear of the unknown. Having owned the bike for nearly 2 years now and met several DCT owners I would probably go for the DCT bike or at least consider it more seriously.
 I cannot recall one owner on this site have anything other than praise for the system. It could also be considered as a very strong reason for choosing the CT over the anything from the other manufacturers.

Paul

Offline Fat Bert

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: 13 CT DCT Black
  • City / Town: Tenby
Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:14:30 PM
Thanks for the feedback [so far] chaps

I live in West Wales and so far away from main Honda dealer, test riding is a difficult option

That why I made the post - as well as trying to stir up some readable posts

Keep 'em coming please

"Team Fat Bert" Racing

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 11:31:06 PM
Just so you know, there should be tons of info here on the subject already. You won't find anyone who is unhappy with the DCT ownership, yet some of us have gone the other way because of either the weight or the fear of the unknown.

For me, it was the question of very slow (slower than lazily walking speed) maneuvers that made me want to keep the clutch lever. Traffic jams are a part of my life here, and I didn't know if I could do what I normally can do with the lever on when you take the lever out of the equation. I had no chance of a test ride back then as well, so I played it safe.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:48:19 PM
There is no answer, those who have DCT love it and those that have manual also love their bike.
I have had a go on both and loved both but DCT for me.
Some guys here will never have the DCT, some guys will keep on buying DCT.

Just have a good run on both if you can.  :305:

Offline Dave606

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT Highlander-T
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 01:07:47 AM
Hi, my test ride was on a DCT but purely because I like the interaction with the clutch and gear lever and It felt odd not having that input on the test ride, (or was it the fear of the unknown) I bought a manual version and I love it. If you have always ridden a manual bike you won't be disappointed with the manual CT.

Daft thing is.... My car is an automatic by choice!  Maybe next time I will get a DCT

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 05:38:26 AM
*Originally Posted by Dave606 [+]

Daft thing is.... My car is an automatic by choice!  Maybe next time I will get a DCT
does your car have a DCT gear box or traditional automatic? They are two very different things. DCT isn't an automatic gearbox, it has 2 clutches that pre-engage the next gear. An Automatic box doesn't do any of this and is a competeley different design.

arab-exile