Author Topic: Changing gear in manual mode- stupid question no.1  (Read 3142 times)

Offline Lisgoold

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Lisgoold
Changing gear in manual mode- stupid question no.1
on: April 11, 2015, 05:07:08 AM
I hope this doesn't sound stupid but can anyone tell me do you have to throttle off to change gear when in manual mode? The manual says the engine automatically blips when you throttle off implying you should throttle off?? Obviously I don't want to make sh#te of the two clutches that come with the bike!!! Thanks all.
Mark.

Offline curlynot

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Nr Kings Lynn
Re: Changing gear in manual mode- stupid question no.1
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 06:04:35 AM
Going up the box just hold the throttle where you want and flick away on the + switch, going down the box depending on speed/engine revs I find it helps to roll off the throttle a little bit just to make it smoother (imagine a manual bike if you held the throttle still and engaged a lower gear you get a slight lurch!). Even in manual mode tho the ecu wont let you do things outside of what the bike is capable of coping with.
SO.....unless you are an absolute nutcase you can do what you like with it and it will cope......just go out and get some miles in and you will see its a great system. :152:

Regards Rob

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 07:28:44 AM
No need to roll off the throttle going up or down, that's the whole point of DCT. The system will detect exactly when to automatically blip the throttle. Just keep the throttle open as you change up the gears and keep it fully closed when you change down. Impossible to damage anything by any manual input. It's one of the reasons why Porsche supply the 911 turbo ONLY with a DCT box (Called PDK), no manual box available, to stop the driver making a hash of the down changes and over revving (Type 2 over rev).

Offline ManfredK

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT 2013 DCT
  • City / Town: Near Frankfurt
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 08:08:24 AM
No need to close the throttle when you shift manually down (or up).... its an drive-by-wire system. Electronic will do what has to be done.

Offline Gary545

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR 1200XD
  • City / Town: Wirral
Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 09:35:20 AM
*Originally Posted by ManfredK [+]
No need to close the throttle when you shift manually down (or up).... its an drive-by-wire system. Electronic will do what has to be done.

:0461:
I'm so impressed with the DCT box that I'm now on my second X/Tourer DCT.
On my first one I did 16000 miles in 12 months and the gearbox really took some stick and never complained once.
I ride in manual mode 99 % of the time and never close the throttle for up or down changes  :001:

Offline Lisgoold

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Lisgoold
Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 12:59:06 PM
Thanks all. This makes the bike even better in my eyes. Being able to just drop a gear in the instant press of a button makes it great for the twisty roads. Luckily I have a few on the way into work everyday!!! This is a great forum and it's great that everybody shares their experiences so readily.

Offline Robocop

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Black '14 DCT
  • City / Town: Fazeley
Reply #6 on: April 12, 2015, 04:40:29 PM
I'd been tootling around in D mode last year but now find M mode provides a sense of more control. I didn't like how the bike shifted up on D mode to gear 6 so quickly and at low speed felt it was coasting. The ability of the bike to shift gears so smoothly and quickly is remarkable even at times when on a fully a manual bike when you wouldn't/shouldn't change gear, you can with no loss of control or stability, so in that sense its quite forgiving.  :028:
Gilera 50 Touring, Honda CB125, Yamaha DT175, Honda XL600R, Peugeot Satelis 250cc Scooter (we all make mistakes), Honda Transalp XL700VA-B, Honda FMX650 (Arrows, K&N, Dyno)

Offline Bitteliten

• Crosstourer Pro
Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 09:35:00 PM
I use S mode mostly. D mode only on highways.