Author Topic: Just curious - Unleaded or Super Unleaded - Supermarket or branded  (Read 3224 times)

Offline Acrosland

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Haworth
Just curious what people put in their tanks, in the past I havent been really bothered but after reading about the lack of addactives in fuels if bought from a supermarket petrol station it got me thinking.

Just filled up with Tesco momentum with is their Super unleaded - I think i am noticing a performance difference.

anyways what do you lot think  :187:

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
I don't pick a particular filling station and whatever is the cheapest there really !  :305:

Offline Lexus

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT DCT
  • City / Town: Ghent
Always super 98

Offline Redbikerat

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: 2013 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Inverurie
It's a Honda just fill it when its (almost) empty! :002:
Redbikerat - Crosstourer and Goldwing GL1800

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
Always the cheapest fuel available. Higher octane (and also higher priced) fuel will only make any difference if the engine is turbo/super charged. On an NA engine it won't make any difference except waste money. Any perceived 'performance gain' is exactly that - perceived because the human brain reacts very well to the placebo affect.

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
I made a small error last week in a filling station in the Highlands, and filled up with SuperPlus (98oct) rather than the usual standard unleaded(95oct).

I wasn't expecting any performance, I was expecting to pay more.

BUT....  riding the same types of roads, at similar speed, 2-up with full luggage boxes, the economy took a leap forward.  I was averaging ~150 miles between fill ups (I fill up when the trip starts it's count down), with SuperPlus I reached 170, a 13% improvement.  However, I didn't take any notice of the price....  so I can't really draw a good comparison.

I'd never normally use higher Octain fuel, like I say, this was an error on my part at the pump. I do think it's probably worth some investigation though.

(the bike has covered 1500 miles, so it's not really loosened up yet)

Offline hammyboy

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer High
  • City / Town: Alford
I would tend to disagree Sunandsea. A simple example would be way back when I had my 125, on tesco petrol maxed out at 50ish mph and on texaco it maced our at 65ish mph. A decent difference there. Also you will usually find a decent uplift in mpg with better fuel. I believe it is all to do with how well it is filtered.

If god had meant man to live an uneventful life then the wheel would not have been the first big invention.

CB125, CB600, CB600f, CBF600, CBF1000 and now Crosstourer Highlander

Offline Alaska

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: highlander
  • City / Town: wn4
Not sure difference with the CT, but the difference in my two stroke in increadable , engine more powerful and smoother, not sure if this add anything chaps
My only worry is if something happens to me, my wife sells all me toys for the price a said I paid, hehehe