Author Topic: Help! Spent £10k on a bike that I can't get on with.....  (Read 11352 times)

Offline michaeldouglas72

• Crosstourer Member
I've been desperately trying to 'gel' with my Crosstourer and it's just not happening so far. I did a favorite run on Saturday leaving Crieff and heading Tarbert, Inveraray, Lochilphead, Oban and back via the Green Welly. It's a decent enough hike covering close to 200 miles, maybe a little more and I got back feeling like I'd done 6 rounds with Mike Tyson! I've done this route many times before on many different bikes but never felt so drained...the bike doesn't feel heavy to ride, even from walking pace it's easily manageable. Maybe, I've got a flu bug coming on or something...

(The front suspension is set up with exactly 30% sag and 5 clicks from hard on compression settings.The rear is set with 25% sag and 1.5 turns from max on compression.) Rear compression setting seem high but is the recommended setting in the book and any less and the bike starts to wallow...

Help, it's a phenomenal bike and the engine is a dream but right now I reckon I would take my '94 TDM over the Crosstourer if I had the trip above to do again.

Offline michaeldouglas72

• Crosstourer Member
Re: Help! Spent £10k on a bike that I can't get on with.....
Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 11:22:01 AM
The manual says I have 120mm of suspension travel at the front but I measured the slider and with the front wheel off the ground it measures 185mm. Do you think my measuring tape could be faulty?!?

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 11:44:23 AM
Didn't you have a test ride?

Offline michaeldouglas72

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 11:47:30 AM
I did have a ride on one but in the half hour I was on it, I was completely focused on how fantastic the engine and oily bits were! My trade in was the Crossrunner which I've done many 300 mile days on and never considered that the CT would be any different comfort wise...

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 12:15:46 PM
There are recommended suspension settings on here somewhere !

The only thing I have done to mine is to firm them up a bit, good enough for me. I don't really race around much these days.

Offline Farway

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: '12 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 12:23:37 PM
Same here. I struggled to get to ride right and in the end simply had to wind everything up to its max to control the rocking horse effect.....from there I ignored everything else and focused on not focusing on anything unless it falls off......3 months later I was happy with it but I take note, I was out for a ride with a fellow ct member the other day and I recon we weigh about the same and his forks seemed two thirds the way turned out where as mine was as much compression as possible.....there are major discrepancies from ct to ct and if you hang about long enough here, some very jovial malteser will try and convince you that its not the suspension but you and that you are to stupid to set it up yourself.... :745: :192:
Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Offline colngezsct

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: 2012 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Tamborine
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 12:25:40 PM
I felt the same at first, but if you persevere with it you will be incredibly satisfied.

Offline Farway

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: '12 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 12:30:26 PM
*Originally Posted by colngezsct [+]
you will be incredibly satisfied.
can't say I have been for quite a while... :745:
Tomorrow is promised to no one...

arab-exile