Author Topic: traction control ( sh#te )  (Read 5727 times)

Offline russ

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: crosstourer
  • City / Town: hull
traction control ( sh#te )
on: March 16, 2015, 08:21:52 PM
Went out for ride on sunday ,great ride apart from two occasions when the so called traction control kicked in after the back end slid out nearly had me off , thought it was supposed to kick in before this happened . DRY ROADS FFS . Any one else had this happen ?

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Re: traction control ( sh#te )
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 08:54:14 PM
Had mine break out a couple of times on gravel patches on Lincolnshire's finest  Russ. What tyre's are on the new CT ? Have you been chasing that GS too hard ?  :084:

Just found this.

When the rear wheel is unable to maintain traction through its contact patch, it slides, and the rotation of the rear wheel no longer matches the rotation of the front wheel. The sensors relate this information to the bike’s ECU. Since the ECU controls fueling and engine speed, it already knows the amount of power the bike is delivering to the rear wheel. In some cases, it also registers throttle position, gear position and even lean angle. With the combination of wheel speed sensor data and engine speed data, the ECU can make a determination on available traction, and trigger one or more responses

Have you maybe got a rather sensitive sensor ?
Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 08:59:23 PM by Saxon747

Offline russ

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2015, 09:09:55 PM
Hi Rob , bridgestone battle wings same as my last one . Only happened once before on my first ct in the wet coming out of a roundabout . Must admit things got a bit spirited with my mate on his gs he has put a power commander on it and it really shifts now , still pig ugly though .

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 05:39:45 PM
I can't say anything about the ' death wings' then Russ, as they gave you no problems on your previous bike. I suppose a short let go is better than a huge one, followed by grip and a high side  :005: Can the GS give you a run for your money with the power commander fitted ?

Offline Farway

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: '12 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 05:50:59 PM
I had a HUGE tank slapper with a loaded bike at 80mph overtaking on a heavy patch of snow (yes I know, pls keep comments to yourselves) and the response of the traction control was slow but probably stopped me from dying, but it takes a split second or so for the system to kick in. Whack the throttle open in first gear and see how far your front wheel lifts before the engine dies down.... the system works but pushed hard, you do feel it tends to run the bike on it's limits before it decides , that's enough!
Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Offline russ

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 06:07:08 PM
Death wings , never heard them called that before that's really boosted my confidence in them  :005: . Yea the gs does go well , but my mate is a really good rider whatever bike he is on . What tyres you got on saxon ?

Offline russ

• Crosstourer Member
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 06:19:03 PM
Sounds like a right trouser episode that does faraway . I have noticed the traction control light flash on when you wheelie over a crest and the occasional little jump . But like you say at least I stayed on  :046: :046:

Offline Farway

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: '12 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Durham
Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 06:29:09 PM
I was lucky after being stupid and I knew it..... I do like the system tho. On a straight road it deals with a quick wheelspin in it's stride but like the O.P said, it allows things to go pear shaped a bit to much especially when the front or rear breaks sideways.
Tomorrow is promised to no one...