Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Experiience with Bullit type Helmet cameras?  (Read 5248 times)

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
Experiience with Bullit type Helmet cameras?
« on: March 09, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
Does any one have experience with using a bullit type helmet camera? I am not worried about wind noise on the microphone etc - more interested about how it affected the overall windnoise or if it induced buffeting, shaking etc?

I am torn between using a helmet cam or a bike cam - is a loop type camera better? I will only using it as a safety / insurance recording device.

Or do you think a fixed camera is better all round?

Any sensible help would be appreciated  :028:
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
Re: Experiience with Bullit type Helmet cameras?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 03:10:50 PM »
Glad you asked this Nick, I've been looking at the same thing, for the same reasons.

What I have found is the looping isn't very clear on most of the information I've looked at. Most just state 1hr, 2hr, 1.5Mb per hour etc for recording , none specify (that I've read so far) any loop facility.

There is a product out there specifically for motorcycles, that records front & rear on a loop, but it's prohibitively expensive.

http://www.46kam.com/#setup_guide

There are some very good systems for cars from Snooper ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snooper-DVR-2HD-Vehicle-Drive-Recorder/dp/B00GLOT0RI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425914089&sr=8-5&keywords=snooper+dvr-3hd ) with in built GPS, I'd like to see something like this in a weatherproof case for the bike.

I though about a Roadhawk, but like you I have been worried about wind noise, looping and effective usefulness in an incident.

Offline justin

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:55:53 PM »
Nick,
After looking at a couple of threads related to camera's recording potential accidents it thought i would mount one. It will be also used for taking pics on and recording when touring. Unless touring abroad most of my rides out consist of shortish runs of a few hours so decided to mount a Garmin Virb to my bike onto the engine bars but under the beak so not too in your face. I can be activated to take pics or video from my Zumo mounted in the cockpit. I decided against the helmet mounted camera as i think i would simply knock it off, noise and movement. These are just my thoughts.
Hope this helps Buddy       

Offline dentonlad

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR800X, NC700X
  • City / Town: Denton
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 04:56:51 PM »
I ride with a helmet camera all the time. Have had Contour, Drift and am now using another Contour.  I haven't noticed any additional wind noise or buffeting as a result of them being fitted.  Occasionally use a mount on the offside front brake fluid reservoir. Prefer the view from the helmet mounts.
Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes - Oscar Wilde.

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys  :305:
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 06:58:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gas_Up_Lets_Go [+]
Glad you asked this Nick, I've been looking at the same thing, for the same reasons.

What I have found is the looping isn't very clear on most of the information I've looked at. Most just state 1hr, 2hr, 1.5Mb per hour etc for recording , none specify (that I've read so far) any loop facility.

There is a product out there specifically for motorcycles, that records front & rear on a loop, but it's prohibitively expensive.

http://www.46kam.com/#setup_guide

There are some very good systems for cars from Snooper ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Snooper-DVR-2HD-Vehicle-Drive-Recorder/dp/B00GLOT0RI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1425914089&sr=8-5&keywords=snooper+dvr-3hd ) with in built GPS, I'd like to see something like this in a weatherproof case for the bike.

I though about a Roadhawk, but like you I have been worried about wind noise, looping and effective usefulness in an incident.

Contour+2 is pretty close to the spec you are looking at I reckon.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
I use a Drift ghost with remote and have several stick on mounts that a I can use (rotatable lens)

top of helmet

rearward facing on top of rear light

RHS on plastic DCT case

and a mount similar to this which can strap in various places http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-1-4-Motor-Bike-Bicycle-Video-Tripod-Mount-Holder-for-Camera-DC-Mini-DV-Red-/251766721834?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a9e774d2a
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 06:13:05 PM by scotsy »

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
  • www.docraphotography.be
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 08:22:52 AM »
I have a Drift Ghost S which you can use in a looping, you have to put it on continues power then, not sure.

I put it on the side of my helmet and backwards above the rear light.

Looking for good place in front, on my crashbars (from Hepco&Becker) I get a wobbling in my image. Not in the two other places. Comes from vibrations of the engine I reckon. Was a good spot though for the image but it's not good with the wobbling.