Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Starting problems  (Read 6054 times)

Offline lambsy

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Junior
  • City / Town: Swansea
Starting problems
« on: March 02, 2015, 12:04:36 PM »
After using Rock Oil as premix in the fuel of my Grandsons Yamaha TY80 two stroke trials bike I thought I'd put it in my Crosstourer because I like the smell of it when the bike is running, I set about it by almost filling the tank then adding a litre of two stroke rock oil, it ran for five minutes then cut out now it won't restart, any ideas ?

Offline fletch

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Jury still out !
  • City / Town: Heath Hayes
Re: Starting problems
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 12:20:29 PM »
At least your grandson won't have to buy any fuel for a while once you have syphoned it all out.
sounds about the right ratio though 20:1.

Offline SunAndSea

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: KTM 1290 SA
  • City / Town: St Julians
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »
2-stroke mix is norally around 40:1 so putting 1 litre of oil in such a small tank would be far too much and will oil up the plugs very quickly.

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
  • www.docraphotography.be
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
 :187: :187:

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 01:30:35 PM »
Wow, what a crazy random thing to do :087:

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 01:49:21 PM »
Why would you put 2 stroke oil in your tank? Especially that much - no wonder it will not start. :138:

Drain the tank for a start then wash it out with petrol. Remove the plugs and clean them then turn the engine over with the plugs out. Replace the plugs, fill the tank with JUST petrol., turn on the key and allow the pump to fill the lines. try starting. Might take a few attempts but should work. :021:

Other alternative get your dealer to collect it and do the work for you.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 01:53:36 PM by MotoGpNick »
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline fletch

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Jury still out !
  • City / Town: Heath Hayes
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 02:04:14 PM »
Back in the  good old days of 2 strokes 20:1 was needed to keep the things from falling apart.

Kawasaki triple era !!!!!!!! :007: :007:

Issue could be the plugs, but don't know how modern injectors are going to cope with that quantity of oil.

I would syphon all fuel out.

Fill with fresh, and try to start the bike.

If N/G maybe you would need to remove and check / clean plugs, and then try again.

Best of luck 

Offline lambsy

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Junior
  • City / Town: Swansea
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 02:15:58 PM »
Right lads I've got her started by using start ya ### a type of aero start thing in a can, it will only run if I constantly spray the thing into the air box, I've done this for five minutes but now I can't see or breathe as the garage has filled up with white smoke which has caused the fire alarm to go off and activated the sprinkler system, I'm in the house now and I'll  leave things to calm down and dry out before I try again.