Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: How fast is too fast??  (Read 4630 times)

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
How fast is too fast??
« on: February 23, 2015, 12:18:13 PM »

So there I was out for a Sunday afternoon ride, not fast- not slow  when I came up behind a queue , a few cars behind a lorry . nipped past the cars then behind the lorry,
as I pulled out the road opened up - wow must have been a mile or so -straight as far as I could see, so I went past , Now my question to you all is :-

A-- do you go past at a responsible  65/75  or

B - a naughty 80/90 or

C- think wow go for it !!!

A s far as I can see - this is the problem we as CT owners have . if you do (A) then why have a CT in the first place- a 500  would do the same job ! and If you don't use the performance on a straight road ( with perfect vision ) then when would you use it in the UK  :305:

Offline Johnnyrep

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Re: How fast is too fast??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 01:08:14 PM »
As a IAM member I don't speed I just make progress.

Offline Atom64

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:56:55 PM »
In a straight line, if your comfortable, feel in control and don't give a monkeys about your license -- flat out.  You'll only do an actual 130 as its 10% out at that speed.    Your more likely to come a cropper when you continually push the boundaries.

If you want a speed fix, get a ZZR or Busa,,,,then you'll know what it feels like going proper fast ---- scary !  :012:

*Originally Posted by Johnnyrep [+]

Thats a very good statement, keeping you in the clear  :047: All the IAM members and observers that I ride with make very good progress.......  :038:
Stickers are still avalable

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:19:40 PM »
If the road ahead is clear with no known junctions coming up then definitely 'C' gun it  while passing but for no longer than necessary,  as more often than not the Mrs is on the back yelling through the intercom  :087:

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 06:05:14 PM »
Speed is a relative thing, I cannot name a set speed without knowing the road surface, its condition, other vehicles, vision, and my own condition. Even then, I would still refrain from naming it I guess. Ride at a speed where it is safe and you find enjoyable mate.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 07:58:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by Johnnyrep [+]

I'm no IAM rider, but I like to think I make "progress" where appropriate, and boy is it fun on a CT.  :008:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Acrosland

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Haworth
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 09:19:32 PM »
I was told always to make progress..... And that's why God created the CT and also the 'kickdown' feature on the DCT then you get much much progress  :152:

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 09:33:01 PM »
It may be a straight road for a mile, but what is there in that mile that you cannot see, like a tractor/trailer pulling out of a field and in your/my part of the world it does happen (as do the fatalities) Sorry if I appear to be a  killjoy, but there are few places in this overpopulated country where it is totally safe to travel at excess (three figure) speeds.

arab-exile