Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rear suspension adjustment knob seized  (Read 4158 times)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
Rear suspension adjustment knob seized
« on: February 22, 2015, 08:29:39 PM »
i was out for short ride and met up with fellow crosstourer owner, who mentioned to keep an eye on the rear adjuster as it is prone to seizing fast. . . Upon inspection, I found this to be the case and cannot move it. . . Any ideas how to free it in case of any adjustment needed in the future?

Offline biker1300

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Is it the weekend yet
  • Bike: dct highlander
Re: Rear suspension adjustment knob seized
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 09:08:02 PM »
isn't it under warranty 

Offline pabwon

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Highlander
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 09:16:00 PM »
This seems to be a fairly common problem on Crosstourer.Mine seized at 3000 miles and the whole rear suspension unit was replaced under warranty.

Offline Saxon747

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander DCT
  • City / Town: Lincoln
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 09:30:29 PM »
Hi Geoff. You have two choices. Number one. If your bike is still under warranty then most dealers will put in a claim to replace the whole rear shock including a new knob which is supposed to have an 'O' ring fitted to help stop water and dirt ingress.
Number two. Get a piece of wood long enough to reach through the underside of the bike and then tap the knob off with the aid of a hammer onto the wood. { this is as long as you cannot physically pull it off by hand} Then once the knob is off then get a socket on the bolt which is exposed underneath, and with the extra pressure from a socket and bar or ratchet you should be able to slacken the bolt enough to expose as much thread as you can . Then lube the thread up well and give it a good working with the socket until  it goes nicely again.
I believe that under the knob there are 2 little springs and balls which make the clicking sound as you adjust it. If it's too much of a fiddle to get the springs back in, then just put a permanent mark on the outside of the knob and one full turn should count as one click.
A lot of 'knobs' in that explanation  :087:  but I hope that helps.

Explained to me by blumeeni who did his some time ago. Mine was all replaced last summer after an oil leak from the suspension unit
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 09:34:45 PM by Saxon747 »

Offline dentonlad

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR800X, NC700X
  • City / Town: Denton
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 02:37:02 PM »
Mine also seized and adjuster and new shock replaced under warranty. Same thing happens on the VFR1200F apparently......
Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes - Oscar Wilde.

Offline Atom64

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 02:57:34 PM »
.....And the same thing happens on the GTR1400.

Don't these manufacturers ever learn from one another !!!   :192:
Stickers are still avalable

Offline ROGERAC

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: London
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 03:27:27 PM »
I just had my second new shock put on last Friday - the original shock was replaced in Dec 2013 when I bought the bike secondhand. That shock went the same way as the original in a just over a year of standing outside and riding every day.

The latest replacement shock is indeed a modified part (and part number) and has an O ring to - hopefully - keep water out of the adjuster. Chiswick Honda sorted it and it was no problem at all - a quick inspection in the workshop while I waited and the shock ordered and fitted all in less than a week.

As everyone says it's a known problem and I can't see why Honda took so long to sort it out.

Now that I can adjust the shock again, I've taken the chance to dial in veejay's settings - https://www.crosstourer.com/index.php/topic,2029.0.html - and I'd recommend these settings.

Makes the bike handle MUCH better.

Offline steve

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XD
  • City / Town: Llanelli
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 03:35:03 PM »
Mine has been seized for a while, it's going in for it's 16,000 mile service soon. I expect it to be fixed shortly, before the warranty expires.

Not that I ever adjust it

arab-exile