Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Crosstourer Alternator Capacity!  (Read 3281 times)

Offline DBLL45

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Crosstourer DCT
  • City / Town: Lancashire
Crosstourer Alternator Capacity!
« on: February 19, 2015, 10:16:57 PM »

Hi All,
The heated grips on my CT Highlander DCT haven't proved to be very effective during the recent cold weather we've had in the UK. Even on the highest setting they're barely warm and whilst my bike was with the dealer for its' first annual service earlier this month I asked the technician to check the heated grips. I was told that, as the bike was fitted with the Highlander kit which includes fog lights, and as it was expected that a GPS would also be used, only low-output (180w) grips were recommended! I understand the alternator has a capacity of 552w - contrast this with the Triumph Explorer's 900w + alternator - and I'm puzzled as to why Honda chose not to fit a bigger alternator on this type of "Adventure" bike but instead restricted the output and range of accessories that most owners would want to fit to their bikes. I also use heated clothing during the winter months and I'm now concerned that this might be too much for the alternator/battery.

Has anyone fitted a larger-capacity alternator to the Crosstourer and, if so, does this affect Honda's warranty on the bike?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
DBLL45

Offline v4biker

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: VFR1200x White
Re: Crosstourer Alternator Capacity!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2015, 10:35:48 PM »
Hi there
I too have the highlander
I have the honda grips and run a heated waistcoat fog lights everything and have no problems with power and most of my journey is town work  :190: 

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 08:24:07 AM »
Well I run Fog Lights, HID lights and heated waist coat and my heated grips work just fine - sounds like the technician is spouting bullplop to me   :230:
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline ManfredK

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT 2013 DCT
  • City / Town: Near Frankfurt
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 08:47:15 AM »
*Originally Posted by DBLL45 [+]

..... only low-output (180w) grips were recommended! I understand the alternator has a capacity of 552w -

...I also use heated clothing during the winter months and I'm now concerned that this might be too much for the alternator/battery.

Regards,
DBLL45

It´s not an 180w heated grip - its an 180° area of a heated gripzone (Honda has also an 360° version).
The alternators capacity of 552w is enough power.

Short calculation

Lights appr. 70 W
Ignition appr. 80 W
PGMFI appr. 150 W
Loading Battery 100 W (on short trips, on longer trips less)
Summary 400 W

Left appr. 150 W for heating and add. electrical parts e.g. LED Fog lämps (10W each)
Heated grips at maximum heat appr. 70 W
you can use for heated clothes 60 W

Finaly - there is no alternator with an bigger load

Offline DBLL45

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:07:42 AM »
Hi Again,

Thanks to everyone for their replies, and especially to Manfred for the breakdown of the power take-off which is very useful! I'm not a technical person so clearly misunderstood the meaning of "180" grips but it all makes sense now. Judging from your replies it seems I might be worrying unduly about using heated clothing alongside heated grips and fog-lights. I might consider switching my grips to the "360" version before next winter, though!

Regards,
DBLL45

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »
I have the OXFORD Adventure Heated Gips fitted which are 360 and 4 heat settings. . . supplied & fitted by dealer for £120.00 last year ! no probs whatsoever and very effective.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin
  • Bike: CRF1000
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2015, 07:42:14 AM »
*Originally Posted by DBLL45 [+]
I might consider switching my grips to the "360" version before next winter, though!

Regards,
DBLL45

Hi from a fellow Lancastrian  :028:

A couple of points to consider

There are a few members who have had 'Faulty' Honda grips replaced under warranty (me included)

The handguards are well documented as being too small to be effective when the temps drop due to the wind being allowed to pass under and over and blast the fingertips and back of gloves causing a windchill factor (search for extended handguard posts)

Which town are you in?

Ian  :305:

Offline DBLL45

• Crosstourer Junior
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 10:04:45 PM »
Hi Ian,
Thanks for your reply! It's interesting that other CT owners have had problems with the heated grips and I think I need to have mine checked out again (I asked the dealer to do this when the bike was in for service earlier this month but he said the grips were working properly). Even though mine are the"180" version I feel sure they ought to be more effective than they are. On maximum heat and wearing all-season gloves I can barely feel them on really cold days so there's a problem somewhere.

As you say, the hand-guards don't help either.

I'm just up the road from you in Chorley, by the way.

Regards,
DBLL45