IMG 0969 1 EICMA2011

Views: 273
Posted by: Giovannino
in: Giovannino
Mt Banks in the Blue Mountains

Views: 252
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: KTM 1290 Super Aventure  (Read 1910 times)

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Silver CT DCT
  • City / Town: Cardiff
KTM 1290 Super Aventure
« on: February 10, 2015, 01:01:56 AM »
Just read Visordown review of this bike and I have to say I am impressed. I test rode the 1190 Adventure before buying the CT but the engine was too buzzie for me. I think Honda is getting left behind in some areas. Performance and suspension are probably the two biggest issues I have but what wins it for me ever time I test ride another bike is the DCT box. However when the weather has improved I will be test riding this bike.

Offline slomogadgie

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
Re: KTM 1290 Super Aventure
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 08:25:19 AM »
My friend has a 1190 and has been plagued with issues. Poor finishes getting corroded and some other little, but annoying issues.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Viking VFR1200

• Crosstourer Member
  • Current: Honda VFR1200XD + Deauville 650
  • Bike: VFR1200XD - 2013
  • City / Town: Sarpsborg
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:42:59 AM »
I also will check out the new 1290 Super Adventure when available in Norway, it should have an awesome motor. But I am also looking forward to the 2016 CT-DCT as I love the amazing combo of shaftdrive/ DCT gearbox. Praying for a bigger petrol tank and LED headlights
Past bikes: CB400, GSX750, DR800, CBR600, ZX-9R, DL650, KTM990ADV, XL1000, KLZ1000

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:04:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by bampy [+]
I think Honda is getting left behind in some areas. Performance and suspension are probably the two biggest issues.

Funny you mention that, I think what is happening is another race to produce the fastest bike in it's class. I blame the Journos who are still living in a '90s leather clad world of race-bikes-on-the-road, they need to move on.

In today's world, with it's crowded roads (the sort with black top anyway), inconsiderate road users and a plethora of hazards to contend with, speed and performance aren't real that relevant. 

This class of bikes, which has grown up from some modified dirt bikes, is more about the travel, the experience and the enjoyment, rather than 'who gets there first'.

I don't get the race to be the fastest, I love mt CT because it's just so effortless and easy to cruise along with my favorite saddlerat on the back and enough luggage to see us through.

I'm seriously considering a KTM to replace my Tenere, but thats another story all together.

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 01:18:31 PM »
It also has to do with the "one bike do all" mentality. These big adventure bikes sure check a lot of points: Ground clearance, long suspension travel, big and powerful engines, ergonomics etc. However, you still won't be touring like you do on a Goldwing or riding the twisties like your on a KTM Superduke 1290 or S1000R. Nor will you hit 300 kmph unless your on a typical 1000cc inline four. But KTM especially is trying to mix it all into one bike here, I think. As they did with the 1190 ADV.

I really don't get the race to produce the fastest, like Gas_Up mentions. 125 bhp 125 Nm torque... That's A LOT of power guys, seriously. If anything, I would ask for CT to be lighter, with better AND slightly longer suspension, and a few more extras as standard, like cruise control and heated grips. Maybe an engine mode for rain, 3-4 liters bigger fuel tank just to spoil us. The last, I mean THE last thing I would want to have on CT would be extra power. I would be happy riding bikes with a lot of grunt all across the rev range but produce "just" 125-130 bhp in the next 10 years as well. And if I would want more, I would go and buy a bike built for that purpose only.

Hell, if Honda were to actually produce a CT I described, I would be easily willing to pay as much as a premium package GS for it. Instant purchase, I mean it. I know I wouldn't be the only one. Far from it.

I am constantly considering the purchase of a GS, maybe ADV. The only thing that keeps me from pulling the trigger is the fact, I mean actual fact (no offense to anyone), that it won't be half as reliable as a Honda. The same goes for KTM. I don't care if its chain-drive. But with so many electronics, and so many talks with 1190 ADV owners, I know I will ruin it in less than two years at my riding rate. 80-90k kms in 2 years mean I will probably be left with the tyres and rims only.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline andyrob

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFRXDCT
  • City / Town: Sunny Glasgow
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 02:46:58 PM »
KTM & BMW & Ducati were discounted for me cos I knew I would always wonder when it was going to breakdown and the silly money it was going to cost me to fix. Fine,maybe if you only keep your bikes for a few thousand miles, not so for long term ownership. Some of the part and build quality too of these Euro bikes shocks me for the premium price they want.

Honda may be getting "left behind" in some folks opinions but they are not getting "left behind" at the side of the road. :305: