IMG 9780

Views: 2327
Posted by: matchip
in: Matchip
IMG 0901 1 EICMA2011

Views: 311
Posted by: Giovannino
in: Giovannino

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Getting rid of the CAT on our bikes (De-Cat pipe/box)  (Read 8315 times)

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
Getting rid of the CAT on our bikes (De-Cat pipe/box)
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:30:35 PM »
I've had a telephone conversation today with an exhaust manufacturer about the possibility of getting a de-cat system made and with a view to them putting it on general sale if enough people are interested in buying one for their Crosstourers.

At this stage we have no idea of the likely cost but he wants to borrow my bike for evaluation purposes and will do a dyno run before and after installation of it to give an idea of any gains. I am not personally too bothered about 'big performance gains' as such but I would like to HEAR the V4 growl a bit more, if that results in any increased torque/power then that's a bonus.

Could anyone interested in buying a de-cat system for their CT post here or contact me by PM.....this is only to try and quantify how many potential sales there may be from this forum alone and is in no way an agreement to buy anything at all.

I have no connection to this manufacturer and have no financial interest in them, I am just trying to see if I can get them 'on-board' to set up the manufacture of an upgrade piece for the 'MUTED' bikes we all own.

Ian  :305:

Offline justin

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Cheshire
Re: Getting rid of the CAT on our bikes (De-Cat pipe/box)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 08:14:30 PM »
I would be interested

Offline Lexus

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: CT DCT
  • City / Town: Ghent
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:44:11 PM »
I would like  to know more about it  :084:

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Silver CT DCT
  • City / Town: Cardiff
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 10:14:06 PM »
My last bike a Triumph Tiger 1050 I decatted myself it did smooth the power delivery because it could be a little snatchie but even with a high flow filter and airbox mod it didn't really increase the power.  I don't see the need on this bike. The stock exhaust is probably not far off the best for this bike buying an after market exhaust will give you weight savings but little if any power increase. Being 16 stone the cheaper option for me to improve performance would be to lose a couple of stone otherwise sport mode on the DCT is ok for now.

Would be interesting to see the dyno results hopefully there will be a power gain but how much and at what cost.

Offline PhD Fr

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: DCT 2012 black
  • City / Town: Paris
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 10:47:48 PM »
Hi Scotsy,

Did you have a look on this : http://www.oehlins.info/Motorrad-Tuning-nach-Motorrad-Typ/Honda-Crosstourer-VFR-1200-X/Motorperipherie-Bauteile-Crosstourer/Edelstahlkruemmeranlage-individuell-gefertigt-fuer-Crosstourer::2830.html

For around 1500€, you will have the decat full line without the end can (the Akra seems to be the only choice for these german guys) for around 18-20 HP boost.
Pretty expensive... and you will have to add the Akra can and a full ecu setup (another 1700€)  :012:

A first (cheap) stage would be to try to remove the cat by pulling it out from the silencer side ... I don't know if it's possible...

Cheers

Offline slomogadgie

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 12:16:18 AM »
I suppose cost would be the biggest factor for folks Scotsy. Keep us posted.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline whitegloss

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: tyne and wear
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 02:58:19 AM »
It would not be that difficult to remove the cat by chopping it out  and replace the cat with a piece of exhaust pipe and weld it up.
I was going to get it done at a local motorcycle exhaust manufacturer, but decided no to bother.
I believe the ecu would compensate for the removal of the cat, however i could be wrong.
If you want a bit more noise a cheaper mod is to shorten your aftermarket end can like i did

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 05:49:01 AM »
Chopping the existing cat to pieces to remove the 'guts' is not for me I'm afraid, I would want to be able to re-fit the cat in advance of any future potential sale (or at least give it away with the bike)

I already have O2 eliminators fitted so unless I was chasing BHP etc  I think the ECU would be fine as it is

I should be delivering the bike on Saturday morning for appraisal and would like a rough estimate as to how many are potentially interested

Thanks

Ian  :305:

arab-exile