Random Gallery Image

GoPro mounts

Views: 630
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Adventure or Not ??  (Read 2906 times)

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
Adventure or Not ??
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:59:41 AM »
So what else do you do on a cold winters night :187: You pop along to your local Triumph dealer to see the new 800 s , and have a free coffee,   :002: well not bad bikes , a bit more refined than the older models I guess and of course more tech ( for those that like it), I also had a sit on the explorer - which I think is a sort of half way house between the CT and the GS, looks like its meant to go offroad . but its almost the weight of a CT and all that plastic to bend :005: which of course brings us back to the old CT - No offroad   gimmicks , just a good road bike -and why not!! :028:

Offline Dave56

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Highlander
  • City / Town: Grantham
Re: Adventure or Not ??
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 06:54:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by HEN99 [+]
So what else do you do on a cold winters night :187: You pop along to your local Triumph dealer to see the new 800 s , and have a free coffee,   :002: well not bad bikes , a bit more refined than the older models I guess and of course more tech ( for those that like it), I also had a sit on the explorer - which I think is a sort of half way house between the CT and the GS, looks like its meant to go offroad . but its almost the weight of a CT and all that plastic to bend :005: which of course brings us back to the old CT - No offroad   gimmicks , just a good road bike -and why not!! :028:

:0461: not just a good road bike, but a GREAT road bike.  :046:
"The more the miles, the bigger the smiles"

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 03:01:28 AM »
CT is fine for offroad

Offline Farway

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: '12 Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Durham
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
The CT's soft suspension performed excellent on rut's and off-road, I was shocked at how comfy it was and I have been the biggest critic of the stock set-up but I was/is very hesitant with simply opening the throttle off-road. Drifting the ct takes real effort where as a  much lighter bike simply kicks the back out and you can keep it there through best part of any gear. You feel the ct's weight off-road
Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Offline slomogadgie

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Olde School CT
  • City / Town: Peternapper
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 12:11:31 AM »
TBH I think the most I would use the CT offroad for would be to get to a wee camp site or something. I did once take it down a quite deeply rutted and muddy track about 200 meters long, and that was enough for me I'm afraid. I do like it on the road though, and get the feeling I could do 6-700 miles in a day on it no problem.
What do you mean it's raining....get ootside and ride the thing.

Offline Gas_Up_Lets_Go

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 10:04:03 AM »
*Originally Posted by HEN99 [+]
You pop along to your local Triumph dealer to see the new 800 s ,

I moved from a XC to the CT.

Don't get me wrong, the XC was a pretty good bike, better loaded up and on the road. Too much easily broken expensive bits for off-road, although people do take them onto the lanes.  Build quality wasn't that impressive, it's premium price for average quality.  And hope to god you don't need warranty in the second year, because Triumph err on the side of 'it's not a warranty item', or 'it's wear and tear' - They are quite poor, unless you have a very good dealer who'll stand your corner for you. 
I've never had so many recall letters as I did in the two years I had the Tiger!

The XC had a poor suspension setup, only adjustable at the rear (nothing at all for the front), so I'm glad to see they've ditched that and gone all WP.  Not sure about the Cruise, yes we'd all like it for long runs, but the Explorers Cruise is so complicated you nee three hands to turn it on! I hope they have addressed this on the XC.  Also TC on the explorer is complicated (not like the CT and it's one button), I hope they have a new system on the XC.

I bought the XC because I thought it would make a good bike, looked good(ish) and had British Pedigree, it didn't really live up to my hopes and dreams, and I'm a little tainted with Triumph (I've seen too many poor condition bikes after the British winter) as they have an air of 'rip off' about them. I don't mind paying good money for a bike, but I expect quality for that.

In a funny twist, I was offered more against the CT (for the Tiger) by the Honda dealer, than I was for an Explorer from the Triumph dealer - how does that figure?

Offline Big Bob

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 11:44:11 PM »
Am I hoping too much of the bike for it to be able to do 100kph speeds on smooth open gravel?