Biker Boy

Views: 80
Posted by: DaveDee
in: DaveDee
IMG 1498

Views: 359
Posted by: operatorius.lt
in: operatorius.lt

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Headlight Problem  (Read 1982 times)

Offline ricochet

• Crosstourer Member
Headlight Problem
« on: January 23, 2015, 02:59:01 PM »
I experienced a headlight failure on both low and high beams.  When I removed the low beam bulb from its socket, the high beam light started to work.  But when I install the low beam bulb, both bulbs don't light up.  Tested the low beam bulb by connecting it directly to the battery and it works.  What could be my bike's problem?
2003 Piaggio X9 (Sold), 2004 BMW R1200C Montauk (Sold), 2004 BMW R1150GS Adventure (Sold), 2007 BMW R1200GS Adventure (Sold)), 2012 Honda VFR1200X Crosstourer

Happiness Is Never Real Unless Shared

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
Re: Headlight Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 05:59:55 PM »
sounds like a short to me between the wiring that goes to the two headlights.
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline Min

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Never to old to be long in the tooth.....
  • Bike: 1200X DCT
  • City / Town: Reading
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 10:24:54 PM »
Hi

With the description I think you have lost the return path for the earth for both lights. Dip headlight is on all the time and main beam comes on with the dip and I think you have a poor earth or resistive earth path back to the battery.

There is an earthing point under the left hand panel so I would check there.

I don't think the CT has the feature of turning off the headlights when the starter button is pressed as this has seen to be a point of failure on other bikes as the button switch goes faulty turning off all lights.

There is a fuse in a plastic holder which you need to check as I think pulling the wires can disconnect the fuse from its holder.
Hope you manage sort out the problem and let all know what to look out for.

Min

Offline BiKenG

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Mainly Hondas
  • City / Town: Chertsey
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 06:09:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Min [+]
I don't think the CT has the feature of turning off the headlights when the starter button is pressed as this has seen to be a point of failure on other bikes as the button switch goes faulty turning off all lights.

Er, I think it does. At least, according to the wiring diagram it does and all recent Hondas I've had anything to do with have the same feature. As I've opined elsewhere, it's a stupid kludge when they should simply not turn on the lights until the engine is running and then the starter switch can be a lot simpler.
You can't have too many bikes.

arab-exile