IMG 1028

Views: 148
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob
IMG 0997 1 EICMA2011

Views: 355
Posted by: Giovannino
in: Giovannino

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Servicing & warranty  (Read 1891 times)

Offline ajk

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X-C
  • City / Town: Surrey
Servicing & warranty
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »
My CT is coming up to its 8k mile service, to keep my warranty valid do I need to have it done at a Honda dealer or can I use my local independent?
I've tried to research this and it looks like, as long as they use genuine Honda parts, I can use an independent?

I guess the other question is, if you were looking to buy a bike, would you be put off if the servicing wasn't done by a Honda dealer?
Cheers,
Andrew.

Offline Beer Belly

• Crosstourer Member
Re: Servicing & warranty
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 04:59:38 PM »
As long as they use genuine parts and they are vat registered you should be okay. For a basic oil / filter and check over  service I don't think the final bill will be drastically cheaper. You pays your money you takes your choice.

Offline scotsy

• Crosstourer Master
  • CRF1000l Africa Twin + VFR1200X DCT
  • Bike: CRF1000+VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Leigh,Lancashire
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 06:47:55 PM »
The 8,000 miles/12,000Km service schedule is shown below

The 16k and 32k services involve a LOT of work to do the valve clearances are will be EXPENSIVE  :172:

That is why some of us bought the 4 x service package for £575 right at the start  :164:  (dunno if it still available these days though)

Ian  :305:

Offline SHR61

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Hertfordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:59:38 PM »
I think the service package for £575 has been discontinued now. It was very good value,, especially as Doble's quoted me nearly £500 for the 16k service.

Offline ajk

• Crosstourer Junior
  • Bike: Honda VFR1200X-C
  • City / Town: Surrey
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 09:03:29 AM »
Thanks for the info folks.
It's not really about the cost but my local independent is a lot more convenient than the nearest Honda dealer, also I like supporting local small businesses :002:
Sounds like I'll be ok using them for the 8k mile service.
Cheers,
Andrew.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 11:27:36 AM »
 I'm not doubting what been said about using other bike shops for servicing.but I looked into this a few years ago and whilst on cars it was ok as long as you used a proper garage and OEM parts, on bikes it was a lot less clear. Why, I do not know and it may since have been brought into line but at the time it was far from certain.

Paul

Offline Atom64

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 07:13:15 PM »
It seems to be the case Paul, that if genuine parts are used warranty stands. Its another thing if the dealers would want to carry out warranty work if you didn't give them servicing business, they can refuse.
Some manufacturers also like servicing data to be updated online, not always possible from small independant dealers, so keep receipts and stamped book close to hand and up to date.   :152: 
Stickers are still avalable

arab-exile