CT2012 16

Views: 358
Posted by: ojo
in: ojo
Down The Rhine

Views: 114
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: BMW S1000XR  (Read 7821 times)

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: Silver CT DCT
  • City / Town: Cardiff
BMW S1000XR
« on: January 21, 2015, 08:34:45 PM »
This looks like it could be a really good bike, it will probably be quicker than the KTM 1190 Adventure that I test rode but discounted because it was too buzzy. This thing will have an engine that will have 160bhp and be as smooth as the CT but will be lighter and will have the semi-active suspension. Booked my test ride for May with the BMW dealer but it will probably be a non-starter for me as I love my DCT but can't wait for the test ride.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: BMW S1000XR
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 08:54:32 PM »
I liked this bike too when I first saw pics of it, however when I saw it in the metal I thought it looked really odd, especially the front.

Bmw I did really like was a K1200R,  real brute and very quick. I actually loved the looks too.

Paul
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:58:02 PM by Hartley »

Offline naefuse

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: Crosstourer X
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 05:23:39 AM »
My freind has been looking at this bike but the dealer says it won't be available till June. When he asked when in June was told it could be early June or late June as they don't have a date. What dealer told you it would be available in May? If he wanted he could pay a deposit to guarantee him one of the first imports.

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 09:38:14 AM »
 :005:Riders of Cardiff and Bridgwater. The sales guy told me that they have already sold quite a few so I don't know if there are any of the first batch left but it's definately worth a call

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:15:56 AM »
The bikes will be available for press release around march according to the head of the design team. I highly doubt they already "sold" any bikes.

S1000XR has the same engine as the S1000R, and having ridden that for a few weeks, I can vouch for its brilliance. The engine is nothing short of amazing, it has superb engine compression for an inline four and the brakes are top of the line. It was a bike that inspired a lot of confidence in me when riding.

Now, take all that, and give it a better, more comfortable riding position and notably more wind protection... It's a no brainer, that bike is going to be awesome to ride. It is the bike on top of my list for 2015.

The ONLY problem is that it is a BMW. It's gonna cost more than any Japanese, and will be half as reliable as one. Just 2 months ago, someone from the RoSPA group here had his K1600GT's whole engine replaced under warranty... after 21 months of ownership and 44k kms. 4 months later and the bike's warranty would be over.

I want to give BMW a shot, especially this S1000XR...  Yet I can't help but feel like its outright gambling.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

Offline Feet up

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: RED CTX
  • City / Town: Barwell
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 08:46:17 PM »
Until last summer I had the same view on BMW, their products and dealers. Although I had never owned a Beamer I would always take any opportunity to knock their owners and bikes.  After 20 years with Honda I was looking for a replacement for my Pan and the CT and wasn’t prepared to wait for replacement models like I did with the Blackbird. Anyway, I put my “Cock on the block” and purchased 2 liquid cooled Boxers and with the exception of the recall on the RT rear shock it’s been so far so good. That said, neither the RT (with a quick shifter) or the GS can match the engine gear box of the CT. Although I’m pleased with both bikes I can’t see me keeping either once the warranty has expired.

Offline bampy

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 09:11:29 PM »
*Originally Posted by Eltar [+]
The bikes will be available for press release around march according to the head of the design team. I highly doubt they already "sold" any bikes.

S1000XR has the same engine as the S1000R, and having ridden that for a few weeks, I can vouch for its brilliance. The engine is nothing short of amazing, it has superb engine compression for an inline four and the brakes are top of the line. It was a bike that inspired a lot of confidence in me when riding.

Now, take all that, and give it a better, more comfortable riding position and notably more wind protection... It's a no brainer, that bike is going to be awesome to ride. It is the bike on top of my list for 2015.

The ONLY problem is that it is a BMW. It's gonna cost more than any Japanese, and will be half as reliable as one. Just 2 months ago, someone from the RoSPA group here had his K1600GT's whole engine replaced under warranty... after 21 months of ownership and 44k kms. 4 months later and the bike's warranty would be over.

I want to give BMW a shot, especially this S1000XR...  Yet I can't help but feel like its outright gambling.

Only telling you what the salesman told me, that they have already sold quite a few of their initial allocation. Whether that's pre-sales deposits taken or what I do not know but it quite common to do this. Personally I wouldn't buy anything without a test ride and my biggest concern with this bike is the sophisticated electronics, fine if under warranty or you are changing the bike every few years but for the longer term could be an issue and if it is it is going to be big bucks to sort out.

Offline Eltar

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: Fazer 8 '14
  • City / Town: Istanbul
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 09:49:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by bampy [+]
Only telling you what the salesman told me, that they have already sold quite a few of their initial allocation. Whether that's pre-sales deposits taken or what I do not know but it quite common to do this. Personally I wouldn't buy anything without a test ride and my biggest concern with this bike is the sophisticated electronics, fine if under warranty or you are changing the bike every few years but for the longer term could be an issue and if it is it is going to be big bucks to sort out.

As you said, it's most likely deposits that the dealer is talking about.

Regarding electronics, I am 100% with you. BMW here doesn't hesitate to replace anything under warranty. There hasn't been anyone I know of that had problems with the warranty. But 44k kms and the engine is gone? It wasn't even the dreaded electronics (which have failed repeatedly on another friends new GS, for ex) people like you and me are wary of. In Turkey, the warranty covers the 2 years and there is no option to work around that. So yea, definitely not a keeper, which kinda ruins the relationship before it even starts, right?

I would really consider paying extra for extended warranty. Sadly, that's not even an option. On the other hand, Honda just extended all the warranties on all of their above 200cc models to 4 years. Man, it's so hard to dislike Honda.
average on my VFR1200X

Bikes owned: CBF250 - '08 V-Strom DL650 - '09 ST1300 Pan European - '13 VFR1200X - '14 Fazer 8

arab-exile