IMG 1196

Views: 163
Posted by: andyrob
in: andyrob
DSC 0440

Views: 118
Posted by: navigator1946
in: navigator19­46

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: START UP AFTER SHORT STORAGE !  (Read 4271 times)

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
START UP AFTER SHORT STORAGE !
« on: December 27, 2014, 11:08:22 AM »
Just started up for a warm up after about three weeks in garage . . .no problems at all and sounds like a dream . . . but I find that after short term storage when not used for a couple of weeks, the brakes appear to grab the discs and the bike is very hard to wheel back out of the garage until I've run it a few metres back and forward and used both brakes . . . then it appears to free up and operate as normal . . . thought I had a flat tyre at first it was so hard to move, but all okay after a short run and warm up. Is this normal and just down to not being used for a while? or maybe just cold temp in garage?

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Re: START UP AFTER SHORT STORAGE !
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:25:36 AM »
Just a thought Geoff, had you cleaed the bike just before you put it away?  ive found if i do that that the pads "grabbed" the disc and free off with quiet a bang, first happed on my XJR. I spin the turn the wheels for a couple of days or so now after cleaning. Fine now.

Just one other thing, If youre starting the bike just to warm it up, make sure it does warm up fully. Dont just start it run for a few seconds and shut it down. It floods it/confuses it/ i dont know/ but I did that on my FJR and and had a right game getting it to start next time. The CT is the same, i know cos i did it in Germany this year (TIT!). Its a well known thing in the FJR world.
There is a prededure to get them started again but its scary and can flatten the battery a couple of times.

Paul

Offline Johnnyrep

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 03:59:24 PM »
 I found it was just starting the engine loosened of the brakes, I couldn't push it back either.

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer dct
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 05:24:52 PM »
HI just a note for everyone,if you start most petrol engines and dont warm them properly they can flood engine,wash oil seal between pistons and bores off.it causes loss of compression and can be a  ### to start.Sometimes you have to remove spark plugs and put drop of oil down hole refit plugs etc.
mafakin

Offline GeofftheChef

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X Black
  • City / Town: Manchester
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 01:06:14 PM »
thanks Pete Fairbairn but the issue is with brakes clamping onto discs, nothing whatsoever to do with starting engine. . .I have no problem with that or warming up at all. I just wondered if it was normal for brakes to be stuck on after a short spell of not using the bike, which appears to be the case so no problems methinks. . .it frees up after a very short run and operating both brakes. Thanks all for replies, and happy New year, and safe riding !

Offline MotoGpNick

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR1200XSE White
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 05:20:04 PM »
I generally start mine and run it for 10 - 15 minutes, lets everything warm up and the temp get into the middle, never have any problems with brakes though ?

:187:
Yam YDS7,Suzuki T350 Rebel,Kawasaki 350 S2, Suzuki GT550, Kawasaki H1B 500, Kawasaki H2 750, Kawasaki Z1 900, Suzuki RE5 (stolen) Matchless 350 Trials, Kawasaki GTR 1000, ZZR1100C3, ZZR1100D2, Honda 900 Bandit, Suzuki SV1000K5 SZ, Honda Blackbird x 2, Honda Varadero 1000 - Honda CT

Offline Johnnyrep

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 07:56:22 PM »
every time I tried to move mine backwards after a overnight break, the brakes would stick bad.
simply running the engine a few minute would loosen the brakes.
no idea why but that's how it was

Offline Nickel

• Crosstourer Master
  • www.docraphotography.be
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 08:19:38 AM »
*Originally Posted by Johnnyrep [+]
every time I tried to move mine backwards after a overnight break, the brakes would stick bad.

same here

arab-exile