2018 10 18 13 48 27

Views: 14
Posted by: 4walls
in: 4walls
2012 05 05 23 13 24

Views: 302
Posted by: regis
in: Regis

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: The Alps. France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy.  (Read 5122 times)

Offline nick280

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Penrith
The Alps. France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy.
« on: December 14, 2014, 04:25:52 PM »
Hello,

I'm planning a trip to the Alps next year. It'll be my 40th birthday, I've been recently divorced (sob, sob  :008: ) and I'm thinking, why the hell shouldn't I take 2-3 weeks out of my hellish work life to do something like this. Its a pat on the back to myself for not crumbling after the last 12 months. But with this being the first time I have done anything like this, its quite scary thinking it could all go wrong. I'll be taking the Xtourer with me obviously, along with my mate on his VFR1200F. I'm thinking just take the fastest route to get down there as with being in Cumbria, that's a 2 day journey just to do that. I need some guidance on routes along with expected time the route will take, places to stay and any help, tips and advice. I'd like to think that I could plan a days riding and either land back at where we started from because there is another good road/route starting at this destination, or arrive at a new location ready for the next leg of the journey. We both would love to spend a day in Monaco so I guess that should be an aim for location at some point.  Should digs be pre booked or is it quite easy to find somewhere to stay at? Risk of theft to bike or luggage etc...... I'd hate to think we've spent all that time and money doing a 3 week trip and it turns out to be a disaster. If all goes enjoyably well, I'd like to think it could be an annual event over 2 weeks.

So, I'm all ears! If you have done the Alps, please feel free to comment. If you haven't, please let me know you haven't but you've heard X route is very good.

Bear in mind, the VFR1200F is coming along too, so no off road sections please.

Many thanks in advance  :031:
I don't want to go fast, I just want to go faster than you!

Offline Johnnyrep

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
Re: The Alps. France, Switzerland, Austria and Italy.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:31:02 PM »
first don't go in August and consider the train at least one way

Offline Johnnyrep

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:32:39 PM »
and join this forum or at least consult it.

http://www.alpineroads.com/phpBB3/index.php

Offline nick280

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Penrith
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 04:42:06 PM »
Why not August?

I've looked at that forum, I should maybe study it a little more  :028:
I don't want to go fast, I just want to go faster than you!

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Certified plum duff
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 05:09:17 PM »
Busy, busy, busy.

Offline GADGET

• Crosstourer Master
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 05:18:26 PM »
Too busy and probably too hot in August, look at late June or September, if you want to get to Monaco then consider the Grande Route des Alpes. there a specific map you can buy that covers it.

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Certified plum duff
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 05:36:15 PM »
Probably no need to pre book in June or September unless you are going somewhere very small or extremely touristy.

Risk of theft always depends on where you go, if you leave something easy to steal in a busy place then the chances are it will get nicked. Not the bike, but things like your helmet etc. just be sensible and you will be fine unless you are really unlucky.

Remember that when you get to the mountains, your daily mileage will be seriously reduced, 250km a day is plenty if you want to actually enjoy yourself.

All the information you want will be easily found on ukgser.

Offline Johnnyrep

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 06:53:48 PM »
http://www.ride.co.uk/Routes/

more help

many people say September as some passes can still be closed in June not happened to me yet, anyway there is so many its not the end of the world.

August is hell believe me, I like June far more daylight and usually good weather