P1130465

Views: 343
Posted by: LP
in: LP
IMGP4100

Views: 381
Posted by: jacob
in: Jacob

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: My Thoughts after 2years and 20,000 miles  (Read 7932 times)

Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT & BMW RACER
  • City / Town: Newtownards
My Thoughts after 2years and 20,000 miles
« on: December 08, 2014, 12:26:11 PM »
Hi everyone
Well having owned the CT dual clutch for 2 years overall I am very pleased. There are a few things that could be improved ie suspension and brakes. The standard suspension can be improved I think most of us agree.I have fitted a Hyperpro rear shock and front fork springs. The fork springs have made a vast improvement, making the ride more refined. Before fitting them at high speed over a 100mph the front chattered or vibrated badly. Now it is completely cured and the ride between 30 and 70 isn't harsh, its not perfect but 80% there. I was in two minds to replace the rear shock but i am glad I did . I believe the match between front and rear is good and it enabled me to set the ride height for my weight, also the shock is built to your weight and use. the suspension modifications cost around £600 and returned a good result. To get a better result I would probably have to spend double the amount.You have to remember this bike is know light weight. In my opinion the brakes are its weakest point,why sliding calipers? Is it cost cutting,Surely not on a premium Honda. 3 sets of pads to date and the discs a worn out,there is now a vibration through the front and a warranty claim pending
Sounds like I am not pleased but I am very pleased. I came off sports bikes ( Fireblades Ducatis etc ) and i don't expect the CT to handle like them but I knew what I was getting. Its a master of all things and the best bike i have ever ridden in the wet bar none. Allot of that is down to the pilot Road 3s and 4s I've been using. If anyone is thinking of trying them do it they are fantastic.Great handling and good wear ( 4500 rear, 8000 front )
It has been totally reliable, nothing has failed. The finish has been durable , alright the center stand has been peppered with stone and is a bit rusty but that's to be expected. The bike is not pampered it is used in all weathers although if it is salty I will hose it down.
I love the DCT transmission, having tested the manual CT there is know contest DCT every time
OK Honda could have spent a few more yen on suspension and brakes and it would make a big difference
So there you have it my thoughts. Recommended OH YES.  :152:

Offline RoadRash

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Perth
Re: My Thoughts after 2years and 20,000 miles
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 01:20:31 PM »
*Originally Posted by dens [+]
I love the DCT transmission, having tested the manual CT there is know contest DCT every time

As a manual clutch owner and a grammar nazi I'd have to disagree with you  :038:

Otherwise, a useful review dens - thanks.
English is a tricky language - just consider the difference between "Free Alcohol" and "Alcohol Free".

Offline pete fairbairn

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: crosstourer dct
  • City / Town: york
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:27:49 PM »
What the feks a grammer nazi.
mafakin

Offline Barbancourt

• Crosstourer Master
  • Bike: VFR 1200 X
  • City / Town: Drongen
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 08:07:12 PM »
Def. grammar nazi : "Someone who believes it's their duty to attempt to correct any grammar and/or spelling mistakes they observe."

Offline HEN99

• Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 12:17:07 PM »
HI Dens, yup tend to agree with most of your post, one thing I would like to know, are you in the 45-55  age group??  I think you do need to be a certain age to appreciate the CT`s charms and not just follow fashion  :- GS, Tiger etc.  :305:

Offline dens

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: CT & BMW RACER
  • City / Town: Newtownards
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 02:35:59 PM »
Hi Hen99
56 since you ask and yes i agree with you. Having been riding bikes from 16 I have been there done that. But i have had 7 BMWs over the years, not GSs, and countless Hondas. The only one to stop at the side of the road was a BMW. Fortunately it was covered under warranty and fixed promptly. Honda reliability and 3year warranty whats not to like :002:

Offline Johnnyrep

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
to me this bike has great handling and brakes

changing the tyres to BT023 or any good road tyre will have a massive influence on the handling

Offline nick280

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Bike: VFR1200X
  • City / Town: Penrith
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2014, 07:42:29 AM »
For me the suspension could be better. I've never had a problem with the brakes. It's the foot peg position and the weight distribution that are my biggest gripes. If the foot pegs were 4" further back and the engine 6" lower in the frame it would transform the way the bike feels to ride imo. The engine is too high up making the bike feel heavy. We know it is heavy but so is its cousin, the F model but the f has better weight distribution and feels light, and the pegs always get in the way when trying to get your foot on the floor. Oh, and the lack of simple decat options is a negative for me too lol.
I don't want to go fast, I just want to go faster than you!

arab-exile