My ride

Views: 334
Posted by: peace
in: Peace
20140720 195151 2883168

Views: 284
Posted by: H@ns
in: H@ns

Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bit of advice on the Alps please.  (Read 6472 times)

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
Bit of advice on the Alps please.
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »
Im thinking of going to the Alps next year. Looking at heading down through the Voges area to stay in InnerKirchen and do the Furka, Neufenen, Susten, Grimsel etc. Then on to Monaco, back north taking in Route Napolean, Gorges Verdon.

Ive been doing a bit of homework and June looks a bit early as some of the passes maybe closed, August seems very busy, so it looks like early/mid July or maybe early September.  Ive also looked at a few tour companies and not many do this in September.

Can anyone whos done this sort of tour in the past give us an idea of when they think the best time to go, dont know if the weather may have turned in September. I appreciate we're talkng about mountains so the weather can be unpredicatable at the best of times but im just looking for some advice really.

Thanks

Paul

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Certified plum duff
  • Bike: DCT
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
Re: Bit of advice on the Alps please.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 10:53:37 AM »
I have found that last week of June is normally fine for weather (not unheard of to have snow though), first week of July is starting to get a little busy and then things are annoyingly busy until the end of August.

September has always been good, just got back about ten days ago and the weather was kind, as it was when I was in the Alps in June this year.

On balance, if I could only go once during the year then I would go last week of June.

Online Hartley

• Crosstourer God
  • Bike: Crosstourer
  • City / Town: Northampton
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 11:37:54 AM »
Thanks for that WWW, June would be ok with us, less time to wait! :305:

Offline wheeledwidewebb

• Crosstourer Pro
  • Certified plum duff
  • City / Town: Ramsgate
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 11:54:49 AM »
And if you're lucky then some hotels are not quite on high season pricing.

Offline justin

• Crosstourer Pro
  • City / Town: Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:09:41 PM »
I have been 4 times now and have found September to be the best month. Early September as soon as the schools go back. I visited the alps and took in Lake Garda this year in early august at it rained for 5 of the 10 days. I am planning Spain/Portugal in may then the alps in September next year. The passes you mention are fantastic though, hope you enjoy them in the sun.

Offline Johnnyrep

• Ex Member
  • Crosstourer Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »
just don't go in August the roads are crowded and more dangerous.

I went one June and was lucky it was blazing hot and everything open, also June has the longest days which is good.

for me I think July is the best month just in case the cols aren't open.

Offline Alaska

• Crosstourer Member
  • Alaska
  • Bike: highlander
  • City / Town: wn4
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 08:33:54 PM »
 :046:
July good for me, done several time fantastico. Call at the motor museum at Strasbourg on to the b500 down to Liechtenstein. Across Switzerland -chur to nates to martigny down to Torino then Monaco . Try the Millau bridge on the way back up, just some ideas for discussion happy planning
My only worry is if something happens to me, my wife sells all me toys for the price a said I paid, hehehe

Offline Hamish

• Crosstourer Member
  • Bike: VFR 1200X
  • City / Town: Brisbane
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2014, 09:20:02 PM »
Went on the Edelweis Tour through Austria Switzerland and Italy in August and yes it's busy, School Holidays and all.
They led the way and we went through some really narrow passes with incredible views and great motorcycling roads. Would have never known about these areas if I went on my own.
Rained 4 days out of the 10. Still, wouldn't have missed it for the world.
Due to recent financial difficulties, the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off until further notice.

arab-exile